Thread: Cycling.... again

Cycling.... again

For someone that's running is primarily revolving around long to ultra distance runs (probably not more than 50 miles this year) does the following make sense when taking into account the desire for long days out on both wheels as well as feet!

Always getting 10'000ft climbing in on foot, and always getting the key long run in (20miles+). Aside from rest weeks. With 2 club runs this may mean as little as 30 miles p/w! This may involve 1 hill rep session per week. Any 20 mile run will involve a lot of climbing, with a 3000ft bare minimum, more likely 5000ft+

And at least two bike sessions, focusing on long steady rides.

Does this seem unbalanced with the objectives being 100 mile rides and 40 mile runs? Speed is not an issue, strength through rough ground and big climbs is!

Re: Cycling.... again

What I have found is that coming from lots of MTBing my running was not seeing much improvement, however since turning to fell running as my main focus it has improved my cycling loads, especially explosive power climbs where I feel to be working very hard. So I gues what I,m saying is that as long as you maintain a base bike level yr fell running will bring your biking on, well in my experience anyway.

Ta martmason, that's pretty much how I'll try and apply the biking into things. Nowt to lose really

I cycle 40 miles every other day and do weight training and stretch as well. Basic rule is to exercise different parts of the body. Running doesn't do that.

I've heard it said that you use the same muscles cycling on the flat as you do running uphill and the same cycling uphill as you do running on the flat, so if this is correct long steady bike rides must do something for your hill climbing ability. I've done quite a bit on my bike recently but it doesn't seem to be helping my speed at all, although climbing is getting a little easier.

try doing a bike ride then getting off and running. doesnt matter how many times ive done this its never been natural which suggests to me that although the same muscles may be being worked its in a totally different way. if you want to be good at something didicate yourself to that one sport else like me you just be ok at them all and a master of none.
    dont know where im going, dont know where ive been, all im doing is running, running to have fun.

Quote Originally Posted by fellrunnerreuben View Post
    try doing a bike ride then getting off and running. doesnt matter how many times ive done this its never been natural which suggests to me that although the same muscles may be being worked its in a totally different way. if you want to be good at something didicate yourself to that one sport else like me you just be ok at them all and a master of none.
    Ahh, the infamous brick session. I guess you hit one of the problems here, so many sports so little time

Quote Originally Posted by Mark G View Post
    I've heard it said that you use the same muscles cycling on the flat as you do running uphill and the same cycling uphill as you do running on the flat, so if this is correct long steady bike rides must do something for your hill climbing ability. I've done quite a bit on my bike recently but it doesn't seem to be helping my speed at all, although climbing is getting a little easier.
    I've actually heard different - from what I gather, cycling uphill and fell running complement each other.

From personal experience I know cycling definitely helps my fell running, but doesn't seem to help my road running in the slightest. And vice versa as well, I've hardly done any cycling recently but quite a lot of fell running and I jumped on my bike the other day and found I was riding nearly as fast at the end of last summer when I'd spent the whole summer cycling!