Thread: The Ramsey

Master

The Ramsey

I see the scheduling for this has a 11am start time. Is this to ensure a particular section is done in the dark or near dark? (obviously assuming a mid summer round). What are peoples views on start times and what sections are best done in the dark?

Re: The Ramsey

These schedulings aim to be covering the far end in the dark, anything between Fersit Dam and Loch / Sgurr Eilde Mor. (or vice versa) - though actually the ground as far as Binnien Mor (CW) is ok
    This is the safer ground on the round, where it is mainly heathery, boggy, tussocky (or all 3), or track and path betwween railway and Luibelt / Loch Eilde Mor. And without any major precipices.
    I've done the Ben / Aonachs / Grey Corries in the dark. I'm very confident in my navigation but I still got pretty worried a few times, these are not places to be going wrong. So, I guess the wisdom of covering the far end in the dark is sound

My first attempt in May was to start at 1.30 am. I wanted to hit the top of the Ben at dawn, and finish in the last dregs of daylight. I still think this is a good idea, but my attempt died in bad weather on Aonach Mor, after about 90mins sleep the night before.

In August I had much more darkness, from before Treig dam to most of the way up Sgurr Eilde Mor. I lost an hour on this section, not getting lost, just being slow. Even on this "easy" terrain, I wouldn't recommend it in the dark without a recce. I started at 1pm because I knew I would have to be out in the dark, I wanted a decent night's sleep, and the far section was the only bit I'd recced properly, and the section I'd lose least time on.

Quote Originally Posted by dmhigg View Post
    In August I had much more darkness, from before Treig dam to most of the way up Sgurr Eilde Mor. I lost an hour on this section, not getting lost, just being slow. Even on this "easy" terrain, I wouldn't recommend it in the dark without a recce.
    On the three times I've been on that section while "trying" to keep on schedule I've only done it once and that was in daylight.

Beinn na Lap can drain time on a cloudy night, its very hard to stay on the "path" and there are lots of lovely bogs, tussocks, ditches, re-entrants and very long grass to make your acquaintance with I'd make sure you're coming off there before it gets dark.
    Bill