Thread: Abdominal Cramps like a knife

Abdominal Cramps like a knife

I have been struggling with ongoing cramps which occur just below the ribcage (where the highest of the sixpack muscles should be). They are extremely severe and will stop me running and if it's particularly bad I won't be able to run again without pain for a week or so. Has anyone else experienced this?

I spent years rockclimbing and doing lots of pullups/campus boarding but sort of ignored the core muscles (keeping your feet on the wall is for weak people). So I'm wondering is it a muscle imbalance due to tight shoulder muscles?

Cheers,

Matt

Re: Abdominal Cramps like a kn

Interesting, I used to get this and also quite extreme soreness below the rib cage after a intensive climbing sessions. Running was at that time a chore to try and lose some weight for climbing. Since giving up climbing entirely perhaps 10 years ago the running is going much better and no abdominal cramp at all. So the answer is ...
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Super Moderator

.... the answer is go and see your doctor a.s.a.p.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    .... the answer is go and see your doctor a.s.a.p.
    I did, their answer was "we'll monitor it and run less"

Glad to see you have ruled out the medical side....I think you're own assessment of the situation won't be to wide of the mark....it could well be the years of climbing rock the way you have has created an imbalance ......woven throuought our bodies is a wonderful think called fascia if the fascia becomes tight in a particular area it can cause problems elsewhere. Fascial tension is probably responsible more backaches, hamstring/calf, shoulder,IT band, piriformis, knee problem etc than you could imagine. The secret is releasing the tension and restoring a natural balance......I would seek out a Bowen therapist in your area and give them a try (google ECBS for more info)...you may be very surprised at the results....I can recommend this through personal experience .......in the mean time I would take to some form of stretching for the shoulders,neck and upper back. If you need anymore info drop me a pm

Although this thread is a bit old, I've just written something that may be pertinent.
    I had this kind of pain for a bit, and these are my thoughts...

http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/...e-running.html

(feel free to snigger at the photos)