Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 10k pace

Re: 10k pace

Thanks for the advice one and all. Another race another pb! I am pleased.

Set of a bit more conservatively as I have a tendency to go off too hard. I liked ChrisU's idea of passing people later on. Luckily I saw people I knew and started off with them for the 1st 3k in 12:19, then I guess we all tried to push on a bit for the next 3k in 12:28, and finally I got away from them in the last 3k in 12:31 and then a sprint finish to end a minute up on last week in 41:21! Passing people from 3k onwards was a lovely feeling compared to being passed after a fast start last week.

Still didn't feel like I was flying though and I have to say I ended thinking there was more in the tank. I certainly wasn't voming. Looking at the hrm now, which I didn't at all in the race, it started at 160 and rose steadily throughout the race in quite a smooth line, which seems pleasing.

So next week can I do it again? Maybe push on earlier as didn't really let go until 7k. I always worry I might blow up, but then regret it later. Maybe its time to see what I can do in the 2nd half.

Next week...
    Is it meant to be this hard?

Quote Originally Posted by Trossachs! View Post
    Thanks for the advice one and all. Another race another pb! I am pleased.

I knew and started off with them for the 1st 3k in 12:19, then I guess we all tried to push on a bit for the next 3k in 12:28, and finally I got away from them in the last 3k in 12:31

Maybe push on earlier as didn't really let go until 7k. I always worry I might blow up, but then regret it later. Maybe its time to see what I can do in the 2nd half.

Next week...
    I would set off slower if anything, as your 3k splits got worse as you went through the race.

This is a good thread, thanks to all those contributing. Useful and interesting.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

We don't know about terrain or wind conditions AG but no need to flap over 3-4 secs a km anyway.

Good work though. Given how easy it is to carried away early on I'd say you paced it almost bang on so well done on that. I'd set off at the same pace next week and try to maintain it for longer. I think you could certainly aspire to a sub 41 clocking next week and looking further ahead if you can get fitter (the subject of another thread altogether!) a sub 40 in the next few months should be on the cards.
    Leeds City AC: "Pure Sporting Delight"

Thanks for the feedback. I don't know if my nerves will allow me to start much slower as this felt very easy, and then i lost concentration in the middle as we wound through an industrial estate and the k markers were sprayed on the ground and hard to spot.
    Not feeling so confident at the moment but hope to start with same folk and then push on harder.
    I'll let you know.
    Jason

I started off very slowly last Thursday - and the result was my first sub 35 minute 10k.

It helped that half the kilometre markers got washed away, and I never looked at my watch once. Instead I took the first km very steady, then enjoyed passing folk the rest of the race. It helped to have that clock over the finish line to match my finishing effort against required PB.

Not that convinced I'll do so well at the Dumbarton 10k... if I bother doing it.

Well just to finish my part in this off, for now. Ran the final of my 3 10k races last night. Had heavey legs from weekend miles running and MTB but what the hey! Started with a friend, but too far back in the crowd and too slow. It was very narrow and passing proved a prob, so was shocked to see 1st 3k in only 12:54 (hrm 154 avg) aargh! Way to slow. Don't panic and race on too fast, push on, pass people, look there's someone 300m ahead I know to aim for. Next 3k 12:27 (hrm 162) thats better now push on its only 2 miles. Last 3k felt hard but good in 12:25 (hrm 165). Last 1k 3:43 (hrm 172). Actually sore at the end, especially stomach, so I did push. Finished in 41:31, exactly 10sec slower than last week...if only I'd started better. So no pb but a better racing run I think. This pacing lark is hard and the hills don't really help in this.

Anyway I have really enjoyed this burst of road running, and improved on last years 45min best so I am chuffed. No more road planned yet. Have kept up good hill mileage too so lets see if this transfers to the hills with Glen Roas next week.

Thanks for al the advice folks!

Jason

I wouldn't beat yourself up over 10s. Different weather conditions alone can make that much difference....let alone the different course.

Quote Originally Posted by Trossachs! View Post
    Well just to finish my part in this off, for now. Ran the final of my 3 10k races last night. Had heavey legs from weekend miles running and MTB but what the hey! Started with a friend, but too far back in the crowd and too slow. It was very narrow and passing proved a prob, so was shocked to see 1st 3k in only 12:54 (hrm 154 avg) aargh! Way to slow. Don't panic and race on too fast, push on, pass people, look there's someone 300m ahead I know to aim for. Next 3k 12:27 (hrm 162) thats better now push on its only 2 miles. Last 3k felt hard but good in 12:25 (hrm 165). Last 1k 3:43 (hrm 172). Actually sore at the end, especially stomach, so I did push. Finished in 41:31, exactly 10sec slower than last week...if only I'd started better. So no pb but a better racing run I think. This pacing lark is hard and the hills don't really help in this.

Anyway I have really enjoyed this burst of road running, and improved on last years 45min best so I am chuffed. No more road planned yet. Have kept up good hill mileage too so lets see if this transfers to the hills with Glen Roas next week.

Thanks for al the advice folks!

Jason

10k pace doing 10k training would be nice
    penguins happy feet :w00t:

A lad at our club organises a very popular club 10K handicap once a month through the winter nights. After an initial run on the set course on the streets around the town, more accurate handicaps are arrived at, the slowest go off first and the fastest last. Although there is a spread of about 15 mins on individual times,the staggered start times ensure that most runners arrive back within a two minute block. The race is keenly fought with 'awards' to the first back and the one with the fastest time. The race is very competitive to put it mildly with the 'hares' trying to stay away and the 'greyhounds' keen to reel in as many as they can. Times do improve throughout the winter with everyone trying to better their own pbs.