Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 6789 LastLast

Thread: The Royal Wedding

Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    The day of Diana's funeral, I went out on a very long bike ride in the West Pennine Moors. I dropped into a shop to get some grub and the bloke there had the TV on and told me, "you should be at home watching this". My reply "That is why I am out".
    As that day was pre-CROW (right to roam) I used it to bag a trig on a very private local grouse moor - on the basis that most well-heeled land owners and their staff would be engrossed in the royal funeral shennanigans. I approached via a public footpath and as I reached my 'attack point' to head up for the trig, I spotted a figure in a green cag, sat down in the heather. I thought that it might be one of the gamekeepers. On approaching closer I saw that it was a male, well past retirement age, sat eating a sandwich. "Aye up, lad." he greeted me. "I think we are in the same boat? My lot are sat in front of that telly acting like it is one of our own family that's died."
    Basically, I think most people lead such hollow, empty lives that they feel the need to latch on to the "celebrity status" of others .... not that I in any way subscribe to the modern obsession of celebrity culture, it's just people who are famous for being famous and have not really achieved that much.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    I was planning to be doing Buttermere Sailbeck but had an accident last weekend whilst out running (and lost quite a lot of flesh in the process.)
    Sounds nasty. Presumably the flesh was removed by contact with a sharp rock or tree branch, and not a dog? Anyway, I hope it heals quickly.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Sounds nasty. Presumably the flesh was removed by contact with a sharp rock or tree branch, and not a dog? Anyway, I hope it heals quickly.
    Thanks - on the mend but still not up to running anywhere. Hoping to get back on the bike for the commute to work by the end of the week.

No dogs involved - flesh was removed in part by a rock and also a large amount of gravel etc.
    I was out bank holiday Monday morning. Lovely run (if a little hot) and just coming down a rough path off the last hill towards the car at quite a fast pace. Waved and thanked a young family for standing to one side of the path to let me pass and didn't see the large rock protruding up. Next thing I know, I am sprawled on the ground with a small child leaning over me exclaiming "I bet that hurt!"
    Took a lot of the skin off my shoulder, upper arm and elbow. Bruised all over my left side but the worst was the gaping hole in my knee. Thankfully, being a young family with one still in nappies, they had bags of wipes and other stuff to help clean me up. Hobbled back to the car where I managed to patch myself up enough to make the 10 minute journey home, trying not to change gear as using the clutch was very painful. Mrs S is a first aider so took care of the rest of the clean up operation when I got home but declared A&E unnecessary as there was "nothing left of your knee to stitch it to, you tw@t!"
    As you can probably summise from my wife's caring attitude, I am somewhat of a serial offender in regards falling over whilst out running.
    Still picking bits of gravel and the like out of my body, but at least I can walk around now in something approaching a normal gait, though stairs are a bit problematic!
    Last edited by PeteS; 15-05-2018 at 01:51 PM.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

PeteS that sounds awful. Repair well, and soon.

Back on topic, I think they make a lovely couple (seriously). I won't be watching though; far more important things to do, like running races (Mount Famine on Sat, Northants Ultra 35 on Sun).

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    PeteS that sounds awful. Repair well, and soon.

Back on topic, I think they make a lovely couple (seriously). I won't be watching though; far more important things to do, like running races (Mount Famine on Sat, Northants Ultra 35 on Sun).
    Cheers, Nick. Hope your races go well and yes, running us far too important to let a royal wedding get in the way!

Still no running for me but I'm now planning to get out on the road bike in the morning before settling down and watching what should be an epic battle in the giro d'Italia. Stage 14 to Monte Zoncolan - the Kaiser!

Interesting point raised on twitter earlier:
    How many people would be watching the wedding if it were pay per view?

Super Moderator
    Is it still on?

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Is it still on?
    Charlesworth Chase? I hope so as me and Mr Tait are going. Sam's bride to chase this year, and a pint at the finish! Royal Wedding; Bollox, but don't you just love the meeja.

Banned
    How long do we think it will last?

Those royals are like me, piss poor record in marriage.

Just another gold digger in the making. I hope the pre-nup has been signed.

If there is another Royal Wedding we need to keep our sneaky days out secret. Everyone has obviously been reading this page as the buggers were all out today! Never seen it so bloody busy on the White Peak Trail.
    Beau dog and I drank almost 2ltrs of water between us (he doesn't mind me sharing his bottle). Beautiful day but maybe not for a long run.
    Watched the ceremony - It was beautiful <3 I think they make a super couple. Congratulations to them both.
    Then off out we went.
    Football? What Football ;-)

Is she pregnant yet?