Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Hip pain

Master

Re: Hip pain

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    Did you get this sorted?
    And did you find out what it is?

I have watched this thread with interest. I have a similar pain right on the outside of the pelvis/hip. I'm not sure if it's the pelvis, but if I wear my trousers "normally" (unlike Simon Cowell) the pain is right where my belt sits on the bone that is also the one that moves when I walk. I've been able to train and race with it for the last few months but it's getting more and more sore as the weeks roll by and I'm having to do a lot less - no long races and I can't run on consecutive days. I'm having NHS physio, but the stretches and acupuncture are not working (yet). The physio also isn't sure what it really is - hence my questions on here.
    Your pain sounds lower than Latege's and could be trochanteric bursitis - but if so I doubt it would puzzle your physio .....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I suspect it is this:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greater..._pain_syndrome

I am assuming the pain/tenderness is over your greater trochanter, rather than over your iliac bone. The usual treatment is relative rest, stretching all structures around the hips and if really necessary NSAIDS.
    At the risk of lazy self-diagnosis, I think I might have a dose of this. It fits the description exactly anyway. But the physio didn't identify it as such, which is a bit confusing ...

Quote Originally Posted by crowhill View Post
    Did you get this sorted?
    And did you find out what it is?

I have watched this thread with interest. I have a similar pain right on the outside of the pelvis/hip. I'm not sure if it's the pelvis, but if I wear my trousers "normally" (unlike Simon Cowell) the pain is right where my belt sits on the bone that is also the one that moves when I walk. I've been able to train and race with it for the last few months but it's getting more and more sore as the weeks roll by and I'm having to do a lot less - no long races and I can't run on consecutive days. I'm having NHS physio, but the stretches and acupuncture are not working (yet). The physio also isn't sure what it really is - hence my questions on here.
    This is now even more painful and I'm down to 2 short runs in a week. I'm now seeing a second physio, but not making any progress as yet. Had an x ray (as the pain is right on the bone) but i showed nothing. Anyone else had this?
    @jasesteve

so is this an injury that was caused by running? if it is, and you are continuing to run twice a week, perhaps you might want to consider not running for a while to see if it gets better?
    No physio or other health provider will be able to help you if they see you for 1 hour a week, and you continue to break yourself for the proceeding 166 hours of the week. Health providers can guide you in the right direction and assist in healing, but they aren't witch doctors. At the end of the day, your body heals itself, and if you aren't giving it a chance, its just going to get worse, I'm afraid.

Hello, sorry for the long silence, I've been Internet free/deprived for the last six weeks.
    Yes, the problem seems to be sorted. In the end I had to take almost three weeks completely off running. By then I could feel no pain or tightness so I gradually picked up the running again and it seems to be ok. It's sometimes quite tight after a run and was still a bit sore when twisting, though that seems to have gone in the last few days. I fly back to the UK overnight tonight so will hopefully get out on Winter Hill or Turton moors before the end of the week and see how it handles that.

Quote Originally Posted by zephr View Post
    so is this an injury that was caused by running? if it is, and you are continuing to run twice a week, perhaps you might want to consider not running for a while to see if it gets better?
    No physio or other health provider will be able to help you if they see you for 1 hour a week, and you continue to break yourself for the proceeding 166 hours of the week. Health providers can guide you in the right direction and assist in healing, but they aren't witch doctors. At the end of the day, your body heals itself, and if you aren't giving it a chance, its just going to get worse, I'm afraid.
    Having not run now for nearly 3 weeks, I'm beginning to think this is a cycling injury... but one that running causes most pain. This injury seems to coincide with a farily significant upping of cycling mileage round the time I changed jobs.
    So, have any of the cyclists on here suffered this kind of injury - really sore point right on the outside of the "hip" (it's actually on the crest of the pelvis)?
    @jasesteve