Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Paddy Buckley Start Place

Re: Paddy Buckley Start Place

Come on Craig, I'm sure you've got a bike there somewhere and would fancy a few miles cycling (and the odd hill) between serious eating stops.

Let us know if you try the PB. A week before the Snowdon7's should slow you up a bit for the rest of your team .
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Hi Craig

Dung Beetle and I attempted the Paddy Buckley over the Bank Holiday. We left Capel Curig at about 11:30am on the Saturday and went really well over the first half, with just my wife Mandie as road support. Finding Craig Wen just after it got dark slowed us down a bit and the weather worsened on Snowdon so we lost a little bit on that section. By the time we got up on to Elidir Fawr the weather had got even worse - windy, wet and really cold! Eventually, as we got towards the top of Glyder Fawr in a heavy blizzard with the snow settling, we decided to retreat back to the Devil's kitchen and down to Ogwen to meet Mandie by about about 7:30am. Conditions really were bad (especially for the end of May) and we stood little chance of completing in 24 hours in the end. Pretty frustrating as we'd gone so well early on and were so close! We both felt pretty good and strong too.

We will try again. Don't know if it'll be this year though.

I think a midday start at Capel worked pretty well. I wouldn't recommend starting any 24 hour challege on an evening - unless you've had the day of work to sleep. We attempted the South Wales Traverse a few years ago starting at 9 or 10 on a Friday evening after a day at work. Needless to say, by midday on the Saturday we were wasted and didn't finish!

Rhys

I think you could well be right about the evening start. I did the West Highland way a few years ago. Starting at 1am or whatever it was really knackered me. I'd been awake all day and that included driving uo to Glasgow.

Will maybe go for a morning start at Pete's.

7/8th is very little moon, not best date. I can eat more on a full moon.

30th June or 14th July looks promising. Just need some lunatics to assist me, anyone up for it?
    Last edited by Craig J; 10-06-2007 at 11:17 PM.
    Pain is only ever temporary.

I was involved with a recent successful round that started in the evening from Aberglaslyn.

I've paced for 2 people now, and doing another one this weekend I think.

Anyway probably unable to help on 30th as have the WHW on the 23rd so I will be knackered/injured. maybe able to help with a leg on the 14th. I'm looking at first week in August myself at the moment.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I was involved with a recent successful round that started in the evening from Aberglaslyn.

I've paced for 2 people now, and doing another one this weekend I think.

Anyway probably unable to help on 30th as have the WHW on the 23rd so I will be knackered/injured. maybe able to help with a leg on the 14th. I'm looking at first week in August myself at the moment.
    might be on hols in llanberis then. give me a shout if you need any support iain. might be able to help out.

Ok Cheers. I'm going to put a more concrete plan together once I recover from the WHW and assess how I feel. Still undecided about a 10 am ish start from Capel or an early evening start from Aberglaslyn.

think i'd go for capel. carneddau much easier to finish. don't get lost on elidir fawr in the dark though!

I'm split between finishing on the Carneddau and starting on what I think are the 2 hardest legs, or getting the night stage done first.

Re Elidir, sorted that one now, basically get up onto the ridge pretty soon and follow the fence. On Nicky's attempt we took a bad line of Y Garn. We were all chatting and noone was really navving as it was light and it's quite obvious, but we ended up swinging way to far to the right, luckily the ground is quite good so you can just angle back down.

The only other query is which way from Tryfan to PYOW. Nicky's group opted to descend to Glendana and up the East Ridge of PYOW, rather than taking the route you did, down to Ogwen Cottage and up the South Ridge of PYOW. I still think the better descent and more direct line that you took would be quicker though.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig J View Post
    I think you could well be right about the evening start. I did the West Highland way a few years ago. Starting at 1am or whatever it was really knackered me. I'd been awake all day and that included driving uo to Glasgow.

Will maybe go for a morning start at Pete's.

7/8th is very little moon, not best date. I can eat more on a full moon.

30th June or 14th July looks promising. Just need some lunatics to assist me, anyone up for it?
    Craig, let me know if you look like putting a team together, may be able to help. 30 June weekend is a Blue moon, (special full moon) so would be extra good to do something that night

Am happy to carry food & water etc. and add encouragement, but don't count on me to navigate as I have little first hand knowledge of most of the route - you will know it better. Would also prefer to do night sections (but give anything a go to help) I love night running .... and you will be slower by then .

Keep me informed if you decide on it, I might be available.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Craig - beware the mole! Don't let him near the pineapple chunks!

Would be interested if wasn't organising / running the Cotswold Way Relay that week-end - and may have a little Welsh trip planned for the following week-end - and then a BGR support role the one after..blimey!