Page 11 of 21 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Doping row continues

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    But the puzzling thing is that it would be such a daft way of cheating. Froome would have known that he would definitely be tested and that salbutamol shows up clearly in a urine sample. So why cheat like this when he would have absolutely no hope of getting away with it?
    Derby is right in essence. Perhaps they re-infused him with his own blood and forgot to take into account the Salbutamol already in there. Or maybe the doctor gave him a 2mg tablet instead of a 1mg. Who's knows? Probably not even Team Sky who don't even keep proper medical records.

How did Tyler Hamilton fail a blood test all those years ago? Because the doctor who took his blood out put somebody elses in.

Super Moderator
    Anyone you think is clean Chris? Who we can believe in?

I'm not saying that I think Froome is innocent, I've no idea whether he is or not. But the circumstances suggest to me that there might be some doubt. It will be interesting to see if he can come up with a satisfactory explanation. For now I reserve judgement.

Quote Originally Posted by Muddy Retriever View Post
    I'm not saying that I think Froome is innocent, I've no idea whether he is or not. But the circumstances suggest to me that there might be some doubt. It will be interesting to see if he can come up with a satisfactory explanation. For now I reserve judgement.
    As I often ask: cui bono?

Is it in the interest of the ICU to see a multi-Tour etc winner brought low after he has been feted for years as "clean", or

is it time for the all-powerful, rich and dominant Sky to be brought to heel?

It's not about the laboratory but the politics.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".

Super Moderator
    Politics and business

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Anyone you think is clean Chris? Who we can believe in?
    Well I've just opened the Fellrunner magazine. On page 11 there is an article headed 'Anti Doping.' Read on and a mountain champion athlete Petro Mamu is named as failing a drugs test. When I tried to find out what substance it was, all I could find in the short time I can be bothered to sift through, was that it was an asthma medication.

Surprise, surprise. Cor I sound like Cilla Black. So in answer to your question, no we can't trust anyone at the top. The authorities are not trying hard enough to catch their stars. And when you have Men like Seb Coe and Brian Cookson running things, any pretence of thoroughness goes out with their own actions and comments.

Even fell running has it going on. I hope Graham B can make efforts to initiate actions that would test the top Men and Women in our sport.

Quote Originally Posted by PiesAreGood View Post
    I just want to make it clear that I wasn't trying to attack asthmatics in any way, I think that as many people as possible should be helped and encouraged to take part in as many sports as possible.

What happened to the U13 girl you mentioned WP is terrible and it is sad if she has been discouraged from taking part since.

I was just (perhaps misguidedly) trying to prompt a wider debate about the use of therapeutic drugs in competition. I'll hold my hands up, I don't know any of the science around Salbutamol or the wider implications so the counter argument to my question could just be shut up PAG you're being naive and stupid and have missed an important point. That's fine, I'm always happy to learn.

If something is not performance enhancing though, why there is an upper limit that someone is allowed to have in their system?

If the rule is that you are only allowed xxx drug up to a certain level, then surely the test needs to be rock solid, otherwise it will always be contested and the result will always be grey?
    My reply wasn't at you personally. There have been many comments over the years aimed at asthmatics as if the treatment they need gives them an advantage and therefore anyone asthmatic competing at the highest level (Radcliffe has been identified for example in the past) is a cheat.

That in effect means all asthmatics are cheats, whether it's an Olympic medal or a V50 prize at Stoop.

I don't take that position.

Some asthma medications can give additional benefits.

My understanding is that Salbutamol is not one of those items, so that is why it is not on the banned list. It is in a secondary list to be monitored.
    He isn't banned - although of course he might be. There is an onus on him and his team to account for this test result.

CL is technically very strong on these matters. I remember him in a debate about the times taken to climb Alpe D'Huez and the huge range of variables were discussed in trying to calculate if times up the climb could be legitimate without cheating.

So I'm surprised that he uses such simple calculations as X amount goes in, Y amount comes out when so many other factors, including those highlighted by the Doctor could influence the outcome.

Froome may have taken more than he should, his doctor could have administered more than he should, but there could also be a reason for the test result and I await the outcome, as I'm sure we all will with interest.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Another well known commonly used stimulant that is used throughout sport is also again being looked at closely.

http://road.cc/content/news/218871-could-caffeine-be-headed-back-wadas-banned-list

Last edited by JohnK; 20-12-2017 at 02:40 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Apologies CL you were right with Lance and I was wrong!!

Why anyone would have this much salbutamol does confuse me.
    Possible side effects: common - feeling tense and getting headaches, muscle tremors and dizziness. Uncommon - muscle pain. Rare - Reduction in potassium in your blood, increase in lactate levels and acid levels, sleep disturbance, increased blood flow to the extremities, mouth and throat irritations, muscle cramps. Very rare - insomnia, skin itching, trembling.
    Almost all of these would have a negative effect on a cyclist. Any asthmatic knows if you take a few puffs to many of the inhaler you can feel your heart race for a few seconds, hardly likely to make you go quicker.
    Extra puffs on the inhaler, I totally understand, I raced (or more correctly I ran slowly in races) carrying my inhaler in my pocket, even used it occasionally!!

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    Another well known commonly used stimulant that is used throughout sport is also again being looked at closely.

http://road.cc/content/news/218871-could-caffeine-be-headed-back-wadas-banned-list

So thats my pre race cuppa of the board then. I think they should ban food as its obviously performance enhancing.