Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Her indoors 1st run

Her indoors 1st run

The wife has promised to start doing some running so I said I would go with her tommorow evening. As I live at the bottom of a hill and am allegic to tarmac I have the idea of taking her up the hill a short distance and then building on that. Realistically I am expecting a very slow run of around 5-600 yards before we turn around and I see her back and then I can trot off. Anyone gone through a similar process with someone unfit and what sort of gain over what sort of time did you see????

Re: Her indoors 1st run

I did this with my wife before the kids were born. We started off with run one lamp post then walk 2. Soon had her running 2 and walking one. Found it best to start on flat otherwise she would have given up too quickly. Lots of patience needed and encouragement. Pity she didn't keep it up, but the birth of daughter got in the way. She did run a mile without stopping. Not great by some standards but it was good progress while it lasted.
    30 years and still here.

My missus has been running about 3 miles on and off for the last two years.

She averages about 10 minute mile pace on the flat. She decided to enter the Manc 10k with her sister this year, not my kind of event but great for beginners who seem to have a fear of finishing last.

This prompted her to get a few more miles in and she actually built up to seven miles. I think she has just got to the stage now where she is starting to enjoy running. She managed just over an hour at the manc 10k

I find that training with her is great, especially over summer. I tend to race every wednesday and do a long run at the weekend. So If i run with her say on a thursday and tuesday its a great recovery run for me and a long hard run for her.

She is planning on doing another 10k in Warrington in june and then a 10 mile trail race in october in leeds. So she has something to build up for.

As for fell running we usually have a long walk on a sunday and jog the downhills just to make the walk about 13 miles but not all day of a job.

Good luck to her, you can always run your run then do the extra slow miles with her on the back of it.

Jamie

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    The wife has promised to start doing some running so I said I would go with her tommorow evening. As I live at the bottom of a hill and am allegic to tarmac I have the idea of taking her up the hill a short distance and then building on that. Realistically I am expecting a very slow run of around 5-600 yards before we turn around and I see her back and then I can trot off. Anyone gone through a similar process with someone unfit and what sort of gain over what sort of time did you see????
    Up a hill for 5-600yds? If I had done that with Jill she would have managed 20yds and never left the house again!

We did a similar thing to Rossendalemark but on a disused railway line - walked gently between 1st 2 bridges, then fast walk between next 2 then fastwalk/broke into a trot between the next 2. Confidence and enthusiasm grew and 12 months on she runs regularly with a club, runs 10K's and 1/2 marathons and is getting very bored on long walks in the lakes....Fell shoes on shopping list for christmas.

Will let you know how it goes...........

Joliver Jim

Will let you know how it goes...........

Be sure you do. I'm still looking for advice.

Banned

Ady, Mrs Stagger is helping a her friend and she printed off the race for life site. She is using the number 2 option, and it appears to be working.
    Here's the link

http://www.raceforlife.org/training/

All the best

Stagger

PS My be JJ might print a copy.

Master and MR

amanda wanted to run the race for life and ultimately do a half marathon

first night we went i said an easy 1/2 mile which started her panicking, we got 100yds and i stopped her and said thats all tonight
    a little mind game but the key is for a non runner not to become fed up within the first few runs.
    a very slow build up is needed or injury will almost always occur
    i hope your good lady keeps it up
    let us know how she gets on

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Joliver Jim View Post

Be sure you do. I'm still looking for advice.
    come for a run with me at buckden pike
    dont worry we can walk to the top if it suits

Well - it was a short one with a bit of walking and then a jog back down to the house but next time the aim is a little further, etc and build on that. She is keen to keep at it so we shall see.....she is also very concious about being seen running which is another reason she wants to avoid the pavements/learing car drivers, etc. Don't think she will be joining me up Blencathra on Wednesday but I will give plenty of encouragement to keep her at it.