Thread: Gwestedyn Hill Race

Gwestedyn Hill Race

This little race is part of Rhayader Carnival week celebrations and goes up to the large cairn at the summit of Gwastedyn Hill just south of the town centre. A distance of 3.8 miles and 950 feet of ascent.

It was a very busy Tuesday evening for the 89 senior and 82 junior runners starting from the cattle market in the town centre. Juniors, under 16, set off 10 minutes before the main race. A fast tarmac start south down the A470 for around half a mile to the sewage works, where a local farmer had stopped the traffic with his landrover!

From here it was all uphill to the summit, firstly on a muddy woodland path, where the first of the juniors were reeled in, and then on lovely grassy open hillside. I managed to also reel in some seniors who had set off far to fast and run out of steam on the ascent. A loop of a bog on the summit plateau and then a great fast grassy descent back to the top of the muddy woodland path where my X-Talon Ultra 260's were perfect allowing me to pick up another couple of places as others were sliding all over the place. Back into town on the A470 and the finish.

A really enjoyable race and great to see so many youngsters taking part. The race was won by Jonathan Pugh of Builth and District RC in 28.39 and the first lady was Zoe Zembrzuski, 11th overall in 35.59. I was 6th and 2nd V40 (only senior and V40 categories) in 32.22.

Back to the Angel in Llani where a very good Jemima's Pitchfork 4.5% from the Glamorgan Brewing Co provided rehydration.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 20-07-2023 at 12:38 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    The Gwastedyn Hill race is discussed in the thread https://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/show...ghlight=oldest , where molehill mentions that he has done it. When I was searching the internet for information about it a few years ago, I concluded that it hadn't been run since 2016; I wonder if it has been revived, or whether it was just being kept under wraps for the last few years, to prevent non-locals from turning up. Anyway, well done Llani Boy for a remarkable performance: 6th out of 171 finishers.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Thanks AK. For some reason I've spelled Gwastedyn Hill wrongly in the thread title and don't know how to change it
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog