Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2101112

Thread: Bad planning and the BG Circus

Re: Bad planning and the BG Ci

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    D'oh, Yiannis,

I wish people would stop pointing these things out.
    Last Summer, shortly after finishing the Montane Kielder 100 mile mountain bike event, I was searching for the results.
    Typing "Montane 100" into Google I was directed to the Montane Lakeland 100.

Honestly, I clicked out of the site as quickly as I could, but it was already too late. Twenty minutes later and I had entered.

And now you've given me something else that I must try not to think about!!!

Your round looks incredibly compelling though...
    Go ahead and start recceing Mark, and if there are some parts in the round you have never visited before, you will be impressed by the remoteness and charm of the area. Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    No, I am not arcman100.
    I do teach welding but do not class myself as elite and have never produced a post of that length in my life.
    I do have strong opinions and sometimes air them.
    BUT TO REITERATE Stagger is not arcman100.
    Stagger mate - we know it's too articulate to be you pal

It can't be Ricky either - he's a canny lad and a real fell runner - he wouldn't have posted such a message.

I think the real question is "did they eat enough bananas?"

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    I'm spartacus.....
    No, I'm Spartacus.

Fellhound

Quote Originally Posted by ydt View Post
    For all those concerned about ...squeezing all the adventure out of the BG and reducing it to just another test-track ... I recommend the Meirionnydd round in Wales - details in the 'gofar' website and elsewhere. It is wild, remote and challenging. Not many people know the route, so you will have fun recceing and discovering the beauty of unspoilt Wales.
    Yiannis
    Now you're talking sausages..... :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    Now you're talking sausages..... :thumbup:
    Selsig!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Selsig!!
    Ian, i liked your story about the bejewelled dragon dispite the throw away comment it generated!
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Ian, i liked your story about the bejewelled dragon dispite the throw away comment it generated!
    Thanks Mr B, It helps me explain why I do the things I do, There have been times when the weather pouring it down with low clag and I still went out, Having placed my head in there I've seen some awesomely stunning days above the clouds etc Probably get bit one day though....

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Thanks Mr B, It helps me explain why I do the things I do, There have been times when the weather pouring it down with low clag and I still went out, Having placed my head in there I've seen some awesomely stunning days above the clouds etc Probably get bit one day though....
    The bite will heal and the memories will outweigh the 'should have stayed at home' thoughts. Long live the spirit of adventure..........and Bigfoot:thumbup:
    Hills and Guinness!

I do most of my reccies alone and have spent some days out in Snowdonia that were challenging for my limited experience but i ask for and listen to the advice of my peers, prepare the best i know how and put my safety first.

Self preservation has kept me safe so far but i think it also helps that i'm getting to an age where safety comes before the buzz, fingers crossed it will stay that way.

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    Andrew,

As you know my interest in the BGR is close to zero (only "close" because I admit to having been a BGR bag-carrier) and so it is inconceivable that I would comment on anyone's preparation.

However I thought I would re-read Arcman's comments.

First I was struck by:

I have accounts of the accident from two of the contenders’ support party who were there at the time of the accident.

Secondly, it seems to me that if the original posting was complete rubbish it would not have prompted any discussion at all, but it has hasn't it just?

Thirdly, I do not think it matters who arcman is. Either his views have some validity or they do not. If he turns out to be Billy Bland will everyone start genuflecting instead of carping? It is the message, good or bad, that should be debated: not the name of the messenger.

Finally, of course you are emotionally close to the incident that prompted the thread and I appreciate why you have not posted before. But the Forum is a tough old arena-why, some misguided people even criticise me!-and that is why people like it. We can't start having double standards ("outing" some but not everyone) when we don't like what people post about us or those close to us.

Particularly when the original posting, whether it was or was not insensitive, has actually prompted debate.

Best wishes,

Graham
    Quam sarcinam stercus

Arcman 100 my cute little behind! xx

KK