Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: BGR a way forward?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

BGR a way forward?

There have been many debates surrounding the BGR over the last year or so but I am yet to see anything really positive come out of any of them.

So......let this be a think tank of what we can do to make it better please.

This is not a tread for criticism or negativity. Please take that kind of debate elsewhere.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Master

Re: BGR a way forward?

When running in groups there needs to some forethought as to the order people end up in - there is a tendency for the slowest/least experienced person to end up at the back - how do those in front know the person at the back is keeping up/knows the route? I feel that one of the stronger/more experienced runners needs to be at the back, and those in front need to check on their status from time to time. Clearly, when time is of the essence, there is pressure not to "waste" it, so a sensible balance needs to be arrived at. Perhaps, like with SCUBA diving, people need to pair up.

Wouldn't tearing up "the list" and dissolving the BG 24 hour club remove a lot of the contentious issues surrounding the BG

Quote Originally Posted by Mark L View Post
    Wouldn't tearing up "the list" and dissolving the BG 24 hour club remove a lot of the contentious issues surrounding the BG
    Thats not very positive....

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    When running in groups there needs to some forethought as to the order people end up in - there is a tendency for the slowest/least experienced person to end up at the back - how do those in front know the person at the back is keeping up/knows the route? I feel that one of the stronger/more experienced runners needs to be at the back, and those in front need to check on their status from time to time. Clearly, when time is of the essence, there is pressure not to "waste" it, so a sensible balance needs to be arrived at. Perhaps, like with SCUBA diving, people need to pair up.
    A few big attempts I've been on have an experienced sweeper to the rear

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    There have been many debates surrounding the BGR over the last year or so but I am yet to see anything really positive come out of any of them.

So......let this be a think tank of what we can do to make it better please.

This is not a tread for criticism or negativity. Please take that kind of debate elsewhere.
    This is a very good idea

Is there really a problem?

The club has guidelines, seems enough.

99.9% of it is great though, great community surrounding it. OK there's eroded trods etc, but there are for most classic races now. Just recced Sedbergh and for much of it I just followed the trods.

TBH the Paddy Buckley is more of a concern with people marking the route with paint and reflective strips. Apart from that I don't think there is much to worry about.

Master

Pretty much been covered here:-
    http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...the-Bob-Graham

Off for a run now
    The older I get the Faster I was

I don't think there is anything wrong either. There was an unfortunate incident on Friday/Saturday that has highlighted a few things that contenders should take into account, but the BG attempt was merely the vehicle for the incident, not the cause of it.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Is there really a problem?
    I'll declare my inexperience at the start, but I was thinking the same thing. Part of what makes it great and so appealing is the simplicity of the whole thing. The less interference or regulations the better. There are always going to be under-prepared contenders (not a reference to anyone on here as it's clear they were very prepared!) or people who have accidents unfortunately, or weather that turns bad.