Re: BGR a way forward?

Can't understand what all the fuss is about

Quote Originally Posted by dave13 View Post
    Can't understand what all the fuss is about
    Is that a cry for help?

Master

"I have the same dilemma in my mind in terms of red tape v practical safety measures. I gave a lot of thought to safety as I have experienced many anxious moments and have seen some worrying occurances when supporting others as road crew.

It's not possible to make it safe but it might be possible to help people make sure they've considered all the forseable risks, perhaps with a simple checklist. I don't know whether even that would be welcomed though."

I think a checklist is a good idea Stef. They have been used in hospital theatres for some time now. Initially they were opposed by some as they were felt to be too simplistic and a waste of time, but they have been shown to be beneficial.

What were you thinking of of having on it?

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I think a checklist is a good idea Stef. They have been used in hospital theatres for some time now. Initially they were opposed by some as they were felt to be too simplistic and a waste of time, but they have been shown to be beneficial.

What were you thinking of of having on it?
    Maybe something similar to the mountain marathon kit list and instructions. The OMM instructions are pretty thorough.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    Maybe something similar to the mountain marathon kit list and instructions. The OMM instructions are pretty thorough.
    .......hmmmm - cannot access that - anyone got a link?

Best way forward: left foot right foot left foot (contiune for following 66 miles......)

Am not sure i see a problem - i see an adventure, possible risks, i like the BG club's low tech hands off approach - the only real formal guidance is the principle that everyone takes responsibility for the risks they take

As for accidents - well they happen and the possibility of them happening is what brings some of the excitement and adventure to fell running - personally running in a group with others seems like the 'safe' option - when compared to running on the fells on ones own - which is certainly how i do most of my running - getting lost, caught in crazy weather, been out in the dark on ones own are all- for me- a big part of fell running and i will keep seeking those experiences out - the BG doesn't create these situations rather its a wonderful excuse to go and find them.

Kate

Super Moderator

Great post Kate

Ever so slightly off-topic, but any baby news yet?

Quote Originally Posted by Etak View Post
    Best way forward: left foot right foot left foot (contiune for following 66 miles......)

Am not sure i see a problem - i see an adventure, possible risks, i like the BG club's low tech hands off approach - the only real formal guidance is the principle that everyone takes responsibility for the risks they take

As for accidents - well they happen and the possibility of them happening is what brings some of the excitement and adventure to fell running - personally running in a group with others seems like the 'safe' option - when compared to running on the fells on ones own - which is certainly how i do most of my running - getting lost, caught in crazy weather, been out in the dark on ones own are all- for me- a big part of fell running and i will keep seeking those experiences out - the BG doesn't create these situations rather its a wonderful excuse to go and find them.

Kate
    Poacher turned game-keeper

A few thoughts from the sidelines.

Use BG club guidance notes.

Keep it simple.....no more rules.

Someone at base/roadside should be responsible for counting everyone in at the end of each leg and have plan/contact details if someone goes astray or doesn't return.

Each person ultimately responsible for own safety (knowledge, equipment, hillcraft, role etc) or 'buddy up' with someone if along for the experience or training.

Enjoy, the BG is a great achievement whichever way you do it.

Ken Maynard

I agree with Ken and Kate. Keep it simple, keep it uncomplicated. That's partly what makes it seem so special.

Do it on your own, do it with a friend, do it with 10 friends to be. Do it with food stashed somewhere at a road crossing, do it with a catering van serving fresh hot food. Winter, summer, weekend, weekday.

Some will complete it, some unfortunately won't.

I'd love to try it one day, but ideally to try it as it is.