Page 2 of 17 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: BGR a way forward?

Re: BGR a way forward?

Having only completed recce's so far myself, and off to help support leg 2 shortly, I think anyone who carries out a single recce will understand the size of the task that lies ahead. What has attracted me is, as has been said, the simplicity of the challenge (42 peaks, 24 hours). How you achieve it is up to you with regards to date, start time, route. Obviosuly there are favourable times and routes. Half the battle appears to be the planning and logistics.

The BG attempt doesn't cause accidents, it is merely a sequence of hills! but it is a reason for people putting themselves in a situation where accidents are more likely than sat at home wathcing corrie. The onus will always fall on the person/people attending. Who is to judge the competency of a runner attempting it?

All in all, from my little knowledge, as long as it stays simple then there is nothing to change. However, I could well be talking out of my ar$e!

Quote Originally Posted by Stef F View Post
    There have been many debates surrounding the BGR over the last year or so but I am yet to see anything really positive come out of any of them.
    As an inexperienced fell runner and a southerner who aspires to do the BG in a few years time, I normally keep my mouth shut on the forums, because that way I don't look like an idiot.

The only thing I want to say now is that I get a lot of hopefully valuable information from reading the debates about routes, safety, and so forth. It may not be useful to those who write the stuff, but it can be useful to those who read it.

Quote Originally Posted by nutkey View Post
    The only thing I want to say now is that I get a lot of hopefully valuable information from reading the debates about routes, safety, and so forth. It may not be useful to those who write the stuff, but it can be useful to those who read it.
    Well said nutkey Everybody coming on this forum has the right to an opinion and the right to express that opinion on here. The exchange of those opinions in public is way more useful than people grumbling in pubs.

Hopefully by the time that this storm blows over everybody has considered their own approach to the BGR - whether as contender or support (I include road support in this as I've had some pretty scary lifts when being transported back through narrow roads to the start of a leg I've just run)
    Ultimately we're all responsible for our own safety - but there's a heady mix of tiredness, unfamiliarity and peer pressure that can build up during an attempt, and that cocktail can do some strange things to our decision making. The more we've considered the whole package before we set out the more likely we'll be able to make well considered decisions when the s**t starts flying.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Fellhound

This is not a tread for criticism or negativity. Please take that kind of debate elsewhere.
    A think tank with no criticism or negativity? That'll be interesting..

Quote Originally Posted by Fellhound View Post
    A think tank with no criticism or negativity? That'll be interesting..
    Definition of think tank:

A body of experts providing advice and ideas on specific political or economic problems.

I don't see any need for criticism or negativity here. This thread was set up as an outlet to suggest ideas and make positive contributions. If suggestions made have drawbacks, obviously these need to be discussed.

I have asked the moderators to delete this thread as it is clearly not needed and can not achieve it's aim.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Are we in danger in getting over excited on this subject! Accidents happen in any sport and if we look at BGR and PBR reports on this forum there is very little mention despite hundreds of attempts. Look at the LAMM 2 yrs ago where there was a bad accident! Accidents happen, although we should all be aware of the weather conditions when going out in the mountains maybe it would be useful for all of us to attend an Emergency First Aid course and as someone suggested if inexperienced runners are supporting then buddy up with a more experienced runner then if they get into trouble they are taken down off the mountains by the more experienced runner. Common sense really look after our fellow runners but ensure all have the correct kit before setting out. Maybe have someone nominated as a safety person whose name goes to BG sec along with runner attempting BG etc they can then co ordinate things before folk set out on their respective legs, keep an eye on weather conditions etc, doesnt have to be that complicated.

Stef... By asking what we can do to make the bog graham better, i am assuming you are hoping to generate a debate on the advice given to aspirants by the bg 24hr club, and it's conditions of entry. This is important to clarify, as it seems some people are interpreting this thread as a debate on regulating access to the bg (something currently ensured by the CRoW act)

I dont think you should delete the thread, people have been making positive contributions. Its just that most people seem regard the current guidance to be adequate.

More importantly, it sounds like you are due some luck soon. I'm sure you'll crack it soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by parkovski View Post
    Stef... By asking what we can do to make the bog graham better, i am assuming you are hoping to generate a debate on the advice given to aspirants by the bg 24hr club, and it's conditions of entry. This is important to clarify, as it seems some people are interpreting this thread as a debate on regulating access to the bg (something currently ensured by the CRoW act)

I dont think you should delete the thread, people have been making positive contributions. Its just that most people seem regard the current guidance to be adequate.

More importantly, it sounds like you are due some luck soon. I'm sure you'll crack it soon enough.
    You're right. Thank you. When my migraine has cleared and I can string a few decent thoughts together, I'll clarify.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

I have asked the moderators to delete this thread as it is clearly not needed and can not achieve it's aim.
    I think it is needed Stef and is already getting people thinking and talking and for that reason alone this thread is useful and has the potential to be constructive. I'm not sure I know all the answers yet and struggle between having some basic rules and the maintenance of the simplicity of the BGR and a group of us (all mountain experienced) were debating it back and forward last night. It was an accident. I assume a trip (still can't remember). But that is no reason it can't lead to constructive debate as you said in your original post.

Quote Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
    I think it is needed Stef and is already getting people thinking and talking and for that reason alone this thread is useful and has the potential to be constructive. I'm not sure I know all the answers yet and struggle between having some basic rules and the maintenance of the simplicity of the BGR and a group of us (all mountain experienced) were debating it back and forward last night. It was an accident. I assume a trip (still can't remember). But that is no reason it can't lead to constructive debate as you said in your original post.
    You are right also.

I have the same dilemma in my mind in terms of red tape v practical safety measures. I gave a lot of thought to safety as I have experienced many anxious moments and have seen some worrying occurances when supporting others as road crew.

It's not possible to make it safe but it might be possible to help people make sure they've considered all the forseable risks, perhaps with a simple checklist. I don't know whether even that would be welcomed though.
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog