Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000m Peaks

Welsh 1000m Peaks

Can anyone describe the route from Aber falls up to the Carnedd ridge line.

Re: Welsh 1000m Peaks

Previous thread here.

Thanks 'feet in the cowclaps'

From the top of the falls stay on the path which follows the stream. Cross where the stream is split by a small "island" . The first crossing is very small, the next one should be crossed by an area of large flat stones and then go straight up on a grassy clearing through the heather (very steep, all fours job) This grinds on for a long time until it sort flattens out as you head between the Bera's. Eventually before reaching bera bach you will hit a quad track. Turn left on to this and follow it until it starts to disappear as it suddendly turns steep. There is a path junction here, go right. Keep on this path which follows a few marker stones. I think there are two more junctions, keep right at both of these. This eventually reaches the col between foel grach and garnedd uchaf. I have found this to be the best route. You gain about 5 feet of unwanted height but the going is good. There is a path lower down which is a bit rougher. Once at the col aim for a rocky spur on west (right) side of foel grach. This gives a good contour line around foel grach. After that it's fairly straight foward. When you drop of llywelyn keep to the left hand side of the ridge on a good path until it hits a very rocky bit. This rock bit has a small trod on it's right hand, just few feet lower than the top of the ridge. Once over this rocky bit it starts to climb up slightly. Step to the left of this to stay on a grassy path and avoid the rougher ridge which is now on your right Eventually you will meet the main path coming from the right to get you up dafydd.

This is good info, thanks for your time

Quote Originally Posted by sheeplover View Post
    From the top of the falls stay on the path which follows the stream. Cross where the stream is split by a small "island" . The first crossing is very small, the next one should be crossed by an area of large flat stones and then go straight up on a grassy clearing through the heather (very steep, all fours job) This grinds on for a long time until it sort flattens out as you head between the Bera's. Eventually before reaching bera bach you will hit a quad track. Turn left on to this and follow it until it starts to disappear as it suddendly turns steep. There is a path junction here, go right. Keep on this path which follows a few marker stones. I think there are two more junctions, keep right at both of these. This eventually reaches the col between foel grach and garnedd uchaf. I have found this to be the best route. You gain about 5 feet of unwanted height but the going is good. There is a path lower down which is a bit rougher. Once at the col aim for a rocky spur on west (right) side of foel grach. This gives a good contour line around foel grach. After that it's fairly straight foward. When you drop of llywelyn keep to the left hand side of the ridge on a good path until it hits a very rocky bit. This rock bit has a small trod on it's right hand, just few feet lower than the top of the ridge. Once over this rocky bit it starts to climb up slightly. Step to the left of this to stay on a grassy path and avoid the rougher ridge which is now on your right Eventually you will meet the main path coming from the right to get you up dafydd.
    In bad weather I'd join the path at the bwlch before Foel Grach and stick on it C.Ll. Each year many get lost getting that small diversion wrong, you don't save that much time so unless you know it well its a risk. Even CD did a loop there a few years back.

Missing from the route details above is that there is a checkpoint near the top of Yr Arig, which may not be very easy to find in poor visibility.
    ydt

That's a new one isn't it? that'll cause a few issues...

just seen that, very strange, off the optimal route...not as nice a path...why put that in? rather dictating route choice?

Even by the old course I reckon that would add 2-3 minutes to the time.

Also 6 figure grid references without the full information, SH?

Should never really just be the 6 numbers.
    Last edited by IainR; 23-05-2011 at 12:56 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    That's a new one isn't it? that'll cause a few issues...

just seen that, very strange, off the optimal route...not as nice a path...why put that in? rather dictating route choice?

Even by the old course I reckon that would add 2-3 minutes to the time.
    That CP was there last year. I think it is a safety addition. There is a natural line/trod SE to join main path. ydt

But there is no danger there, you just get lost, very lost but so what that's fell running?

In lakes races you can go miles between check points, this is heavily way marked or very regular checkpoints. A petty I think it's losing its purity there. Like on the Gribin, if you aren't experienced enough to pick a safe line, should you be in that race? I think it ends up making a race more dangerous as you take the responsibility away from the runners. I understand regular checkpoints around access issues but nowhere else.

Obviously the history of the race dictates that safety is a factor but its a petty to remove the adventure from the race.

Look at Jura? a justifiable classic because of the challenge.