Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

1st LONG 'A' RACE

Ive mainly stuck to short and medium length races but i want to try my first long race this year, and ive narrowed it down to the two shortest long races i can find (if that doesnt sound irish) three shires n langdale horseshoe. not done any recceing to either so would like to pic your brains people on which of the two you would recomend for my first long 'a 'race
    which you prefer to run n why?

Re: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

Have never run the Langdale race but know the route well. With that proviso, I think it would be navigationally less challenging than 3 shires. But it's a big Lakes event on high terrain, and if the weather's bad it'd be a big challenge for anyone. It's v popular with a field of about 400, like the Anni Waltz and Borrowdale. Would like to do it this year.

Can attest that the three shires race is a great event, a proper lakes fell race - usually gets a smaller field than Langdale, more like 250, and has more cross-country bits that make nav / recce a bit more of an issue.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Have never run the Langdale race but know the route well. With that proviso, I think it would be navigationally less challenging than 3 shires. But it's a big Lakes event on high terrain, and if the weather's bad it'd be a big challenge for anyone. It's v popular with a field of about 400, like the Anni Waltz and Borrowdale. Would like to do it this year.

Can attest that the three shires race is a great event, a proper lakes fell race - usually gets a smaller field than Langdale, more like 250, and has more cross-country bits that make nav / recce a bit more of an issue.
    If you think Langdale is less of a navigational challenge than 3 Shires then you are in for a shock if the clag is down!

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    If you think Langdale is less of a navigational challenge than 3 Shires then you are in for a shock if the clag is down!
    i suppose the same can be said for any fell race, ive even been lost on my local training run (for harf an hour or so) in thick clag easy done!
    so long as you can find your way safely off the hill thats the main thing.

what would you recomend for a long 'a' race, no map no compass?

I think it all depends on the person. My first 2 long 'A' races were Three Shires and Langdale in my first year of running. But then I'd been walking in the Lakes and the Peak for the previous 30 years (not non-stop), so I was pretty comfortable with navigation.

Presumably if you live in Cumbria you must know the area of both races reasonably well.

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

3 Shires followed by Langdale. Grizedale Horseshoe, though not technically a long, but it feels like one, is also excellent. Probably three of the best fell races in the calendar and nicely timed so that each builds up to the next.

Once you have done these you can have a go at anything.

The other AL I could think of is the Sedburgh Hills but you may not want to do that as it's a championship race this year.

I don't think there is much to choose between the 3 Shires and Langdale - they are both very testing in their own ways. Pesonally, I'd go for the 3Shires, just because I prefer the route - the other thing to bear in mind is it's in September so the chances of terrible weather are a little better (but you're local so you know that's no guarantee!!)

Whichever you decide to do make sure you get plenty of recce's in - try and get round the full route at least 2 or 3 times. You need to make sure you have the stamina for those last few miles - and both races have a sting in the tail!

I would say don't worry about it too much and do whichever you fancy. Just recce the route.

My first fell race was the Langdale Horseshoe. I reccied it two weeks before and that made it fine on the day.

Not being blase, but just saying don't stress too much thinking what to do.

maddaddy

My personal view is that Three Shires is easier than Langdale - nav is easier, and langdale has sections which are very rough underfoot.

However both would be a great starting point and are brill races - I prefer langdale

Quote Originally Posted by maddaddy View Post
    My personal view is that Three Shires is easier than Langdale - nav is easier, and langdale has sections which are very rough underfoot.

However both would be a great starting point and are brill races - I prefer langdale
    I agree they are both great races; I enjoyed Langdale more, but that may have just been the clear blue skies last year vs the rain and clag I had the year I did the Three Shires. In terms of time, I think Langdale takes longer than the Three Shires - it did for me anyway.
    The land at the end of our toes goes on and on and on.