Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

Fellhound

Re: 1st LONG 'A' RACE

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    3 Shires followed by Langdale. Grizedale Horseshoe, though not technically a long, but it feels like one, is also excellent. Probably three of the best fell races in the calendar and nicely timed so that each builds up to the next.

Once you have done these you can have a go at anything.
    Great advice. These three in succession are the perfect introduction to long Lakeland 'A's :thumbup:

Quote Originally Posted by Woodzy View Post
    yeah no both areas fairly well geoff but not the race routes gona have to recce them deffo
    was kind of leaning towards doing langdale??
    Fair enough. If you go for Langdale the bits to recce are from Bowfell summit onwards. If the mist is down the best way onto Crinkle Crags isn't obvious (if in doubt, follow the ridge path), Bad Step to Red Tarn catches a lot out (end up at Wrynose) and the way off Blisco can be tricky (as it is in the Three Shires).

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Fair enough. If you go for Langdale the bits to recce are from Bowfell summit onwards. If the mist is down the best way onto Crinkle Crags isn't obvious (if in doubt, follow the ridge path), Bad Step to Red Tarn catches a lot out (end up at Wrynose) and the way off Blisco can be tricky (as it is in the Three Shires).
    yeah good advice prob recce 2nd harf got pbs map n looks like most technical part of race

Hi Woodzy.

I assume you recognise this mindless rant as complete rubbish but for the sake of clarity:-

Quote Originally Posted by No map, no compass View Post
    Bloody awful race full of road runners, not a rock in sight.

Anyone who thinks Jon Broxap would organise a "bloody awful" fell race should seek help - just look at the results for the last few years and you will find all the major fell running clubs well represented.

For pity's sake, why on earth would anyone need to recce a race that many times unless they thought there was a good chance they could win it. Why not just have a good look where it goes on a map and maybe do one or two of the trickier bits if you are that worried about it. If all 400 entries went round that many times the route would be a valley run, not a fell run!
    As it's your first AL I suggested you run the course several times to a) ensure you are fully confident about your route b) you're confident in your ability to complete the race no matter what the conditions and c) give you some idea as to your likely time.

Hope this helps - and good luck for Sunday!

Naturally, once you have the confidence to run ALs, your recceing would return to normal levels.

If youve got some spare cash it might be worthwhile buying one of those fancy satnav watches that you can programme your waypoints into. Makes sense that even in mist you should then be alright. People laugh at walkers for using them but its just common sense really.

KK

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger+Out View Post
    Hi Woodzy.

I assume you recognise this mindless rant as complete rubbish but for the sake of clarity:-

As it's your first AL I suggested you run the course several times to a) ensure you are fully confident about your route b) you're confident in your ability to complete the race no matter what the conditions and c) give you some idea as to your likely time.

Hope this helps - and good luck for Sunday!

Naturally, once you have the confidence to run ALs, your recceing would return to normal levels.
    For the sake of clarity, Sedbergh Hills is a bloody awful race. Doesn't matter who organises it.

It is perfectly possible for anyone who is moderately competent in the hills to enter and complete a long A race without a single recce. I have managed to do this at Langdale, 3 Shires, Ennerdale, Wasdale, Duddon, Borrowdale, Jura AND Sedbergh Hills.

Quote Originally Posted by Keswick_Krumble View Post
    If youve got some spare cash it might be worthwhile buying one of those fancy satnav watches that you can programme your waypoints into. Makes sense that even in mist you should then be alright. People laugh at walkers for using them but its just common sense really.
    If you need a GPS to get round a fell race then you should stick to marked trail races. It is very definitely not in the spirit of fell running to use one in a race for navigational purposes. Buy a map and compass and find out how to use them.

Fellhound

Once again, I'm with no map, no compass. However, I fear we will increasingly be seen as the crochety old guard...

I agree about the GPS... Wouldn't dream of using that for a fell race (don't own one and don't intend to).

But I always like to recce, partly so I don't have to be thinking about navigating when I'm trying to run, partly so I don't feel like I'm just following people round, and partly so I know what to expect in terms of tiredness as the race goes on, when to push it etc. Just my take on it based on my experience so far.

Just thought of another reason: when in the race you're often so tired that you don't really get the chance to appreciate the views and where you are (I don't anyway). Reccies are a great chance to really do that.
    Last edited by L.F.F.; 24-06-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Added the other reason.

[QUOTE=No map, no compass;419879]For the sake of clarity, Sedbergh Hills is a bloody awful race. Doesn't matter who organises it.

It is perfectly possible for anyone who is moderately competent in the hills to enter and complete a long A race without a single recce. I have managed to do this at Langdale, 3 Shires, Ennerdale, Wasdale, Duddon, Borrowdale, Jura AND Sedbergh Hills.

Like I siad - you need help!

I didn't realise you were so clever - I'm really impressed!!!!!

Senior Member No map, no compass's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Roger+Out View Post
    Like I siad - you need help!

I didn't realise you were so clever - I'm really impressed!!!!!
    No, just a very average fell runner. Most other fell runners just turn up to races they have never done without recceing them to death first too. Its what you do.