View Poll Results: Did you compete as a junior?

Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

70 100.00%
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Were you a junior fell runner?

Were you a junior fell runner?

So from the UKA affiliation thread, did you compete as a youngster? and followed on competing in juniors to compete as a senior.

Yes or No.

Re: Were you a junior fell run

Just a point, I've noticed a lot of sports make a lot of their juniors and offer them a lot of opportunities (fair enough they're the future of the sport), but don't seem to do as much for adults who enter the sports later in life due to life circumstances, but possibly have more potential than some of the juniors. It does seem wrong that kids get opportunities just cos they're young which they may not make the most of, whereas adults aren't offered those opportunities cos they're older.
    I'm so naughty!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by AllanT View Post
    Just a point, I've noticed a lot of sports make a lot of their juniors and offer them a lot of opportunities (fair enough they're the future of the sport), but don't seem to do as much for adults who enter the sports later in life due to life circumstances, but possibly have more potential than some of the juniors. It does seem wrong that kids get opportunities just cos they're young which they may not make the most of, whereas adults aren't offered those opportunities cos they're older.
    Can you give an example? Who do you think has untapped potential as an adult fell runner?

Personally I think an adult should be able to find themselves a coach and structure their own training.

And the point 'they are the future' is the point of the poll, I don't think they are. I think the future fell runners are largely running around a pitch or a 400 m track.

This poll isn't meant to devalue junior fell running at all. As Daz H said junior sports in this country has gone to the dogs, and so its promotion is essential, but for me its to provide kids with a route to sport rather than fell running.

Master and MR

young tom 3 doors down is intrigued ( hes 11 ) that i run up hills
    tried to explain what a fellrace was and showed him some of the fellrunner magazines i have
    he came round tonight with his mum and is really intrested
    i feel its my duty at some point to take him along to a race

well he poodled off with 3 of my tomatoe plants and some runner beans to put in his vege patch and was as happy as larry
    i will take him to a denton fell race when he is older
    he s tried on my spare bumbag and stuff
    there are kids out there , only wish someone introduced me at that age

I did but i have only been a senior since the start of 2007, I was introduced to running at 9yrs old but only started on the fells when i was about 13
    The race does not always go to the swift, but to the ones who keep running

Chris

That doesn't make sense, IainR. Do you mean you promote junior sport but not junior fell running? Why?

Anyway, regardless of the way you vote junior fell running is a bigger part of the sport than you think.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    This poll isn't meant to devalue junior fell running at all. As Daz H said junior sports in this country has gone to the dogs, and so its promotion is essential, but for me its to provide kids with a route to sport rather than fell running.

Jesus hardly rocket science. I think promote junior fell running, like promote junior football, rugby, hockey, and any other sport. But the succes of our football and rugby teams is intrinsicly connected to our youth development in those sports. However this isn't true with fell running.

There's no reason why a very good athelete in another sport can't move across to fell running, with the ball sports if they can't play the game by the age of 8 they'll never make the grade.

Look at the other debate.

'regardless of the way you vote junior fell running is a bigger part of the sport than you think.'

Why?

I knew there would be one..

Chris

OK then.
    Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    I think promote junior fell running, like promote junior football, rugby, hockey, and any other sport.

Chris

I don't agree with you IainR, as you might not be surprised to know.

Unlike 8 year old footballers, runners may show some talent when they are 14 or 16 so it isn't an argument against promoting juniors.