Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Heptonstall Festival Recce

Heptonstall Festival Recce

Everyone loves a good recce - particularly one that starts in Heptonstall and finishes with a pint.
    9th of July is fast approaching so the organisers would be very happy to plan a few outings of the 6 miles route.

Here are some possible dates/times - but flexible - feel free to suggest a preference
    Happy to do a a few of these (not not all!)

Thurs 22nd June - 19.00
    Friday 23rd June - 19.00
    Sat 24th June - 8.00am (with some extra running on the moor to count as weekend long run)

Following week
    Thurs 30th July - 19.00
    Friday 1st July - 19.00
    Sat 2nd July - 8.00am (with some extra running on the moor to count as weekend long run)

More fun if there's a good bunch so feel free to bring your mates

Let me know which one suits you best........

Re: Heptonstall Festival Recce

Hi Trig,

I think Thursday 30th or Friday 1st is looking favourite thus far. I'll confirm closer to the date :-)

Jo

Quote Originally Posted by joeyd View Post
    Hi Trig,

I think Thursday 30th or Friday 1st is looking favourite thus far. I'll confirm closer to the date :-)

Jo
    Nice one Joey - Friday is a Heptonstall regular training run - bring your vest?

I'll wear my vest with pride - what's the best way to get the cold hard cash to you for it?

Jo

First recce is Thursday 23rd June (ie tomorrow) 19.15 - from White Lion Heptonstall. Just a small bunch of us but all welcome!

Does the route include the brutal climb up from Hardcastle that the original Hepstonstall Fell race involved? :w00t:

Does the route include the brutal climb up from Hardcastle that the original Hepstonstall Fell race involved? :w00t:
    Ha ha - no! We'll save that little treat for March. The ascent / descent between Blue Pig/Heptonstall is a hidden trod through woods (no steps!!) which begins on the main road around Heptonstall, near "Draper Corner" about 40 yards down the hill from a Bungalow. There is no FP sign, just a collapsed section of wall. Great descent - but was really muddy last night; definitely needed my studs. The path has been adopted by local mountain bikers as an alternative to the Calderdale Way (this muddy route meets Calderdale Way half way down fro Heptonstall). The route is known to MBX ers as the "BLUE PIG".

Despite the big ascent the path is much more runable than the nightmare 100 step staircase (final ascent/straw in HFR March).

Top tip; make sure you get to it as quick as you can on race day - not an easy place to over take - and take great care on the road crossing on the way out and back - we will Marshall on race day - but its the runners job to look out for cars and avoid getting run over!

Has anyone else had recce??? Interested to get your feedback

I'll see if I can find it before one of the official recces - as for getting there as quick as I can on race day, I just hope it's quick enough to beat the crush . Why is it known as 'Blue Pig'? Is it just a weird and wonderful name that's been linked to the run over the years?

I'll see if I can find it before one of the official recces - as for getting there as quick as I can on race day, I just hope it's quick enough to beat the crush . Why is it known as 'Blue Pig'? Is it just a weird and wonderful name that's been linked to the run over the years?
    The Blue Pig MBX route takes its name from the club at the foot of the descentThe Blue Pig is an historic working mens club in the aptly named hamlet of Midge Hole (at the entrance to Hardcastle Craggs) its a great spot frequented by walkers and runners - and as a private club the beer is only £2 a pint - well worth a visit - you can normally get signed in.
    Attachment 4901

Ah. I recognise it now - we've been past it on a few runs :-)