Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Toe Nails

Toe Nails

Hi All,

I currently wear Inov8 Mudclaw 270 fell shoes. I love them, they give fantastic grip and seemingly fit like a glove.
    I have one problem though. When I do long runs, 15 mile plus i always end up loosing my big toenails. They go black and eventually drop off with a fresh one underneath.

So I have two questions.
    1, Is there anything I can do to stop this?
    2, Can you recommend an alternative that will be give me the same high level of grip.

cheers
    Adders

Re: Toe Nails

You may need a half size bigger shoe?
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Could be my shoe size. My actual shoe size is 9.
    My road shoes in Asics are 10.
    My Inov8 fell shoes are a size 9.
    Perhaps a size 9.5 would solve it. I don't want to go too big or my foot could start slipping.
    I have thought about going for the Mudclaw 333 as it seems to offer a bit more comfort. Is this right?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by adders View Post
    Hi All,

I currently wear Inov8 Mudclaw 270 fell shoes. I love them, they give fantastic grip and seemingly fit like a glove.
    I have one problem though. When I do long runs, 15 mile plus i always end up loosing my big toenails. They go black and eventually drop off with a fresh one underneath.

So I have two questions.
    1, Is there anything I can do to stop this?
    2, Can you recommend an alternative that will be give me the same high level of grip.

cheers
    Adders
    This occurs regularly with my (fell walking)partner's big toe nails - her big toe sticks out beyond the others and is therefore vulnerable. Are your feet this shape? Her solution is to wear a bigger size, and always check in the shop that they are ok when on a downward slope.

Quote Originally Posted by adders View Post
    Could be my shoe size. My actual shoe size is 9.
    My road shoes in Asics are 10.
    My Inov8 fell shoes are a size 9.
    Perhaps a size 9.5 would solve it. I don't want to go too big or my foot could start slipping.
    I have thought about going for the Mudclaw 333 as it seems to offer a bit more comfort. Is this right?
    I used to have the same problem until I went half size bigger in my running shoes. I have those mudclaws and they are like wearing slippers...lovely. Try having a proper running shoe fitting and the guys in the shop will advise what's best for u.
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

Thanks for the responses. Half size bigger it is then........my 3yr old daughter did say 'Daddy your feet are getting huge', perhaps I'm still growing...!!!

My roclites are a size bigger then my shoes, as are my New Balance road shoes. Keep your nails short too!

You should cut your toe ails to give it a short size. I think your nail size disturbs you to wear a shoe.

I think on long fell runs its almost inevitable. I think the shoe getting wet with water or sweat loosen the material allowing for foot slip in the shoe. I wore Inov8 265s for the Manx mountain ultra, when I set off and they were dry I felt no discomfort at all. After 1/4 distance and a stream crossing things began to change and I noticed my feet sliding into the front of the shoe on steeper downhills.
    The only thing would have been to stop and tighten the laces up. Obviously I didn't as its a race right! Plus I had lost 20 minutes going around in a circle in the mist.

Right, so my feet are a bit of a mess post-OMM but recovering.
    The Big toe nail on my R foot was obviously dead, and eased off today when I was trimming some loose skin around it. Unfortunately there hasn't been enough time for much of a nail to grow underneath it, so there's not a lot of protection going on.

What would people suggest? Can I just wear a sock straight on it? Or should a wind dressing be put on - info for both normal life and running appreciated!
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy