Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Fisherfield Round

New Fisherfield Round

I've just returned from a new round: 21 Munros of Fannichs, Fisherfield, An Teallach (all Corrag Buidhe pinnacles and Lord Berkeley's Seat obligatory!) and Beinn Dearg. 70 miles 28000 feet.

weather wasn't too wonderful with thick clag for 75% of it and I had a painful knee after 20 miles which was bad news with a further 50 to go. This meant I couldn't really run, but I continued in the drizzle. The slow pace meant I had to stop the night in shenavall (I didn't fancy the pinnacles in the dark with thick mist, a pathetic emergency torch and anyway, I was knackered). It took 31 hours of walking/sort of running and 6 hours in the bothy.

The weather might have been disappointing but the round was fantastic - the best I've done :thumbup:. The ground is very unforgiving over Fisherfield and An Teallach, particularly with a dodgy knee.Loads of angular boulders which were slippy in the drizzle. No crossing of roads for the first 50 miles, so you have to carry all your stuff. I did dump some food at the roadside which I was glad of. I'll go back to take some pictures. Its a wonderful circuit but a tough call for a 24 hour round. I think that even if my knee hadn't played up I'd have struggled to get close to 24 hours with needing to carry food, etc. Its significantly harder than the Ramsay for example.

I will write it up in due course.

john

Re: New Fisherfield Round

Fantastic John, what an achievement. Weather has been pretty awful here for a while now. I'll be interested to hear the route you took. I'm liking the sound of that, but perhaps not An Teallach and the Corrag Buidhe after however many miles!!

Some rough grounds on the Fannaichs as well, surprisingly.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Full Moon Addict View Post
    I've just returned from a new round: 21 Munros of Fannichs, Fisherfield, An Teallach (all Corrag Buidhe pinnacles and Lord Berkeley's Seat obligatory!) and Beinn Dearg. 70 miles 28000 feet.

weather wasn't too wonderful with thick clag for 75% of it and I had a painful knee after 20 miles which was bad news with a further 50 to go. This meant I couldn't really run, but I continued in the drizzle. The slow pace meant I had to stop the night in shenavall (I didn't fancy the pinnacles in the dark with thick mist, a pathetic emergency torch and anyway, I was knackered). It took 31 hours of walking/sort of running and 6 hours in the bothy.

The weather might have been disappointing but the round was fantastic - the best I've done :thumbup:. The ground is very unforgiving over Fisherfield and An Teallach, particularly with a dodgy knee.Loads of angular boulders which were slippy in the drizzle. No crossing of roads for the first 50 miles, so you have to carry all your stuff. I did dump some food at the roadside which I was glad of. I'll go back to take some pictures. Its a wonderful circuit but a tough call for a 24 hour round. I think that even if my knee hadn't played up I'd have struggled to get close to 24 hours with needing to carry food, etc. Its significantly harder than the Ramsay for example.

I will write it up in due course.

john
    Well done John this is er... very similar to something I had planned for Late Aug early Sept. Mine was just a bit shorter by 2 munros or so, Be interested in seeing your route though. Fantasic area from afar so was keen to get in there. Look forward to the write up...

Awesome, John.

Look forward to the write up and photos

John, well done and have something done to that knee, you are too young and fit to have to slow down because of it. I had a keyhole operation to tidy up some loose material a few years ago and had no real problem since.
    Yiannis

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Well done John this is er... very similar to something I had planned for Late Aug early Sept. Mine was just a bit shorter by 2 munros or so, Be interested in seeing your route though. Fantasic area from afar so was keen to get in there. Look forward to the write up...
    if you miss off an coileachean and meall gorm, that would make it 19 munros and shorten it by 7 miles. that would make it more doable in 24 hours and a more natural line as it would eliminate the out and back, but it would be a shame as its one of the nice runnable bits.

Well done John, its going to be a bumper fellrunner
    Bill

Looking forward to reading about this in detail - well done.

Quote Originally Posted by Cliveybaby View Post
    Looking forward to reading about this in detail - well done.
    here here, on both counts

Fantastic, John!! I vaguely recall putting together an outline for 24 Marilyns in that area but never with any real intention of trying it!

I had a wonderful day recently just taking in Beinn Chasigein Beag and Ruadh Stac Mor and a few assorted Grahem Tops etc, about 35 miles which took me 15ish hours. This might suggest similar pace and similar knee state; if so you have at least 2x my staying power etc. Respect, FMA, once again!
    Gone peakbagging