Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Riding fixed

Re: Riding fixed

Simon, why not have a new rear wheel built, for the SS MTB, with a flip/flop hub - free one side, fixed the other? Shouldn't be that expensive!

I'd lend a fixed bike to someone who was used to riding one, but not to a novice. They take quite some getting used to, and I think everyone has a few minor crashes in the first few days of riding fixed. Chances are I'd get a bike with more scratches and dinks than the one I lent out.
    Best bet is to buy yourself a cheap old bike and fit a fixed rear wheel to it. You could probably be up and running for under a hundred.

Quote Originally Posted by London Standard View Post
    I'd lend a fixed bike to someone who was used to riding one, but not to a novice. They take quite some getting used to, and I think everyone has a few minor crashes in the first few days of riding fixed. Chances are I'd get a bike with more scratches and dinks than the one I lent out.
    Best bet is to buy yourself a cheap old bike and fit a fixed rear wheel to it. You could probably be up and running for under a hundred.
    Never found it that difficult to be honest. Back in the mid /late 60's, as a teenager, I converted my 10 spd Carlton Catalina to (ss) fixed and took to it like a duck to water. One memorable ride was Lancaster, Kirkby Lonsdale, Ingleton, Settle, Ribblehead, Ingleton, Burton-in-Lonsdale, Lancaster in one afternoon; the day after finishing my 'O' levels!
    In my twenties I bought a Pennine Re Della Corsa Sprint track / road bike and covered lots of miles on that. The only accident on the Pennine was not due to it being fixed, but my own carelessness - "honking" out of the saddle up a slight incline with my head down, failed to notice a new Ford Capri Mk2 parked by the kerb, ended up sprawled across the huge rear window of the hatchback, with the handlebars wedged under the rear diff and my feet still clipped into those super smooth Campag Record track pedals!!

Nah! It isn't that hard, especially not for Fishbulb... I borrowed an Pompino once and ended up riding it round a mtb trailcentre within 10 minutes of getting on it... And I had only ridden fixed at the velodrome and never ridden a mtb, let alone a fixed road bike at a trail centre... Only thing I struggled with was the toe clips, as I am used to riding clipped in...

“the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

I never found it difficult. A lot of people struggle when they take the brakes off before they have the skill to do so, and thats when the crashes happen.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Have you heard that Richpips of this Parish is doing the 3 Peaks cx on a fixie?

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Have you heard that Richpips of this Parish is doing the 3 Peaks cx on a fixie?
    I recall that a couple of characters completed the race on fixies, maybe 4 or 5 years ago. IIRC they were on Il Pompinos

There's only been Jon Wyatt (aka Samuri) done it on fixed before, afaiik. He was indeed on a Pomp.

Banned

Matt Brown a designer at inov-8 is riding a singlespeed, hoping to have a crack at the SS record

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I recall that a couple of characters completed the race on fixies, maybe 4 or 5 years ago. IIRC they were on Il Pompinos