Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Peroneal tendonitis

Re: Peroneal tendinitis....

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Just got this. Been told mine is related to poor mobility in the ankle and lower leg muscles, also possible collapsing of arches. Been told to stretch lots and buy those superfeet insoles or whatever they are called.

Just replacing my road shoes to a more supportive shoe and lots of stretching has already reduced the pain considerably.

Been told to keep running because until I sort out my flexibility it will just keep coming back, even after rest
    Just saw this thread and thought I'd share my experience with this problem - which is lots. I developed this early in 2008 and although I hate to say it, it's something that really doesn't go away and you have to manage - at least that's my situation. For me, it was definitely poor mobility in the lower leg, specifically the peroneus longus, that caused the problem. It got so tight I got micro tears in the connective tissue between the muscle and the tendon itself, the result being that my whole achilles area got really swollen and in fact crepitus set in .... this had me going to physio at the local hospital and took ages to settle down.

I think when people talk about peroneal tendinitis and peroneal tendonitis they mean the same thing. The peroneal tendon is very extensive and if you have problems, you'll feel it referring everywhere, under your metatarsals, ankle, the lot. It's mean. It does respond very well to deep sports massage, but you have to be careful, particularly in the area around the retiniculum - the "strap" that holds the whole caboodle to the lateral side of your foot. Blood supply here is terrible, so a regime of combined heat/ice helps a great deal. I used to get up 15 minutes earlier, nuke my heat bag and then sit eating my breakfast with foot up, alternating heat/ice. Ibuprofen gel (10% stuff like Ibulieve) also helps.

I was very fortunate as my missus was training to be a sports massage therapist at the time this developed, so she's become a bit of an expert on peroneal tendon treatment. I hasten to add she's qualified now, but I still have to have regular maintenance. For instance, I biked on Saturday and ran 13 miles on Sunday .... that bloody muscle siezed up again and if she hadn't worked it, I bet it would have reappeared.

So I hope this helps. BTW, rolling a golf ball under you foot also helps relieve the pressure. PM me if you need to hear any more ..... hope it clears up quickly for you.

Martyn

Peroneal injury??

The lateral part of my ankle under my actual ankle feels extremely bruised and sore to touch. After a run it swells up for a short period of time. I have seen a physio who said I could do some 5 milers and work through the pain. I ran midgley moor on Saturday and ever since the pain has got worse as has the swelling. Usual routine of RICE but I was wandering if anyone knew of anything else I can do + recovery time? I have also developed pain around my ankle joint line??? Any help and advice would be greatly accepted. Ta

Master

Re: Peroneal injury??

Do you mean below the bump - malleolus - on the outer side of your ankle? Did you go over on it at any time? If yes to both it could be a ligament injury.

Hi Mike yes below the bump to the back of the malleous and around that area. I thought it was my Achilles but that was ruled out due to motion etc. I went over on it three weeks ago tool two off but it's still hurting!!!

Master

Cheers mike loads of stuff on that link. Laters

Peroneal tendonitis

Has anybody had this, if so how long did it take to get sorted and did you do anything special to help it go/rehab.
    Any advice will be warmly accepted.
    Cheers
    MM.

Re: Peroneal tendonitis

I had this a few years back and have to say it took a while to clear up. First of all, you're sure it's peroneal tendonitis, right? In its initial stages it's easy to confuse with achilles tendonitis, but I'll assume you can feel the discomfort/inflammation up the peroneal muscles, down into the peroneal tendons under the retiniculum (the band of sinew over your ankle bone) and even into your feet, as the tendon has numerous insertion points.

Massage helps a great deal, I'm lucky insomuch as my wife treated me (sports massage therapist), but it also responds well to combined ice/heat treatment - the problem round there is that there is a limited blood supply to carry the crap away and ice/heat aids that. I also found that ibuprofen gel relieved symptoms, but can't say whether it ultimately helped me on the road to recovery.

Three years later I still have the occasional twinge, I keep it at bay by regular massage on the peroneal muscles and calf stretching. Hope this helps.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Re: Peroneal tendonitis

Thanks Martyn, both the hospital and gp diagnosed it as tondonitis but after no signs of recovery after five weeks they looked again and found that I had fractured my fibula!!!! So now in a leg cast and hopefully my tendons are ok.

Peroneal Tendonitis??

Ive not run for about 2 weeks, due to pain on the outside of my lower left leg. My doctor thought at first that I had a stress fracture of my lower Fibula and sent me for an x-ray, which gave me the all clear, but after 2 weeks and still not being able to run on it, I went back to my doctor to say that he thinks it might be Peroneal tendonitis, and gave me a strong anti imflammatory cream. But the pain ive got is not really on the tendon but on the bone, theres a point on the bone where if I press hard enough theres a sharp pain, and its the same pain if I try to run or walk for more than a few yards. What I'am concered about is that Ive got a stress fracture that was not noticed on the x-ray. My doctor said that a stress fracture of the fibula would be noticed on an x-ray, but am not convinced, does anyboby have any thoughts.