Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Peroneal tendonitis

Master

Re: Peroneal Tendonitis??

According to Noakes X-rays will not show anything abnormal in stress fractures in up to 57% of cases if the X-ray is done within 3 weeks of the onset of symptoms. This sounds like a stress fracture, particularly with the inability to take weight, and the focal tenderness. Ideally you would be seen in your local fracture clinic.

Yeah but what am I supposed to do Ive been to the doctor and he seemed quite convinced that its not a stress fracture but more to do with tendonitis, anyway am not going to run on it until its healed, whatever it is.

Master

? pop into your local A+E?

A bone scan will generally show up a stress fracture. I though the peroneus tendon was on the side of the foot?

Quote Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
    A bone scan will generally show up a stress fracture. I though the peroneus tendon was on the side of the foot?

Yeah but it also runs behind the fibula.

Thanks, big Gray Man - I learn something new every day!

The tendon of peroneus longus startes about 1/3 to 1/2 way up the tib and inserts into the 1st met and navicular on the planter aspect of the foot. Thereforer is quite long and has several bends. Its main job is to planterflex the 1st ray joint to stop the big toe being pushed upward by ground reaction forces.

Peroneal tenonitis can be occur anywhere along the tendon not just on the side of the foot.
    It can be caused by the foot not pronating enough (or supinating to easily) therefore peroneus longus has to work hard to keep the big toe on the ground. Or by over pronating which stretchess the tendon esp if the 1st ray joint is flexible.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy A View Post
    Peroneal tenonitis can be occur anywhere along the tendon not just on the side of the foot
    I can endorse this. I had peroneal tendonitis hit me several years ago and at various times I felt it along the whole length of the tendon, including all the insertion points under my foot. It can be very nasty. Funnily enough, as I moved onto off-road running it became much less of an issue.

I have my own personal formula for curing PT, but it's no miracle - basically a combination of massage (lots), ice and heat. I also found anti-inflammatory gel relieved the symptoms well, partic. the 10% stuff.

Martyn
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Quote Originally Posted by The-Big-Gray-Man View Post
    Ive not run for about 2 weeks, due to pain on the outside of my lower left leg. My doctor thought at first that I had a stress fracture of my lower Fibula and sent me for an x-ray, which gave me the all clear, but after 2 weeks and still not being able to run on it, I went back to my doctor to say that he thinks it might be Peroneal tendonitis, and gave me a strong anti imflammatory cream. But the pain ive got is not really on the tendon but on the bone, theres a point on the bone where if I press hard enough theres a sharp pain, and its the same pain if I try to run or walk for more than a few yards. What I'am concered about is that Ive got a stress fracture that was not noticed on the x-ray. My doctor said that a stress fracture of the fibula would be noticed on an x-ray, but am not convinced, does anyboby have any thoughts.
    Went for my first run tonight in five weeks, wasnt sore really at all, no sharp pains at least, so can't be a stress fracture, amazing that ive not lost all that much cardio fitness, a suppose a testament to how fit a was before a stopped.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by The-Big-Gray-Man View Post
    Went for my first run tonight in five weeks, wasnt sore really at all, no sharp pains at least, so can't be a stress fracture, amazing that ive not lost all that much cardio fitness, a suppose a testament to how fit a was before a stopped.
    Sounds good - also sounds like we will never really know what it was - I still have my money on a stress fracture of the shaft of the fibula - 5 weeks of not running would heal most of these. Good luck.