Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Joss Naylor Challenge

Re: Joss Naylor Challenge

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    As promised/threatened, here's a link to the write-up of Friday's run: helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/
    Well Done Andy, not sure if we've met but reading your posts and now your write up i feel as though I know you.
    Great report and, again, very well done.

Ken

Quote Originally Posted by Splatcher View Post
    As promised/threatened, here's a link to the write-up of Friday's run: helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.com/
    It's a good read and gives a clear idea of what to expect. The article itself (rather than the Helsby running club site) is at http://helsbyrunningclub.wordpress.c...lor-challenge/

I've got a couple of years before I give this one a go but the 12 hour target sounds quite tough. How many have managed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pete F View Post
    I've got a couple of years before I give this one a go but the 12 hour target sounds quite tough. How many have managed it?
    129 completions since 1991, of which 29 have been under 12 hours (if I counted them right). Monica sends you a list of completions once you've got round yourself.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Well done Andy - I must have missed this when you first told the world.
    Good run and a good write-up.
    “The higher we soar, the smaller we appear to those who cannot fly.”

Geoff Cox Lonsdale Fellrunners

Thanks everyone for your congratulations over the past few weeks - I'm still basking in it. I'm looking forward to being presented with my tankard at the dinner on 15 October. The only catch is that it's the same day as the Round Rotherham 50 race, which means getting round the 50 miles in under 9 hours then driving up to Santon Bridge for the dinner. The race starts at 7,and the AA website reckons 3:30 for the drive, so that should get me to the dinner at 7:30 if I don't stop to shower or change. I hope there isn't a disco - I don't think I'll feel much like boogying all night long.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I'm planning a long way ahead here but my aim is to do the JNC when I hit 50 and to get round in under the 12 hours that Joss has set as the challenge. What I would be interested in knowing is how fast I have to be. So, for those who have managed the challenge, what sort of times did you have on other long-distance challenges? Eg how fast did you do the Wasdale FR or the 3 peaks or the Haworth Hobble etc? I realise this would only be a rough guide but it would be good for me to know what sort of standard I need to be at to make the JNC feasible. At the moment I suspect I am a fair way off the pace!

I took 5:20 for this year's Haworth Hobble, 13:56 for the JNLC. Both when I was going well. So I suppose around 4:30 ought to be your target for the Hobble.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

I made the same considerations prior to my attempt and started to compare long distance race times v Jos Naylor sub 12 hour completions.

I had completed my BG in 23hrs 25 mins, Borrowdale in 4hrs 15mins and Edale Skyline in 3hrs 35mins, so I new that it would be a tall order to make sub 12.

Gueswhat I found, Like with all these challeges it is a question of how much you want it?

I went back to my road running days and put in loads of speed work along with recces on the route and loads of climbing. I planned for a weather window so avoided wet rock and wind. The weather was brilliant if a little warm and I made the crossing with 13 mins to spare.

I'm planning a long way ahead here but my aim is to do the JNC when I hit 50 and to get round in under the 12 hours that Joss has set as the challenge. What I would be interested in knowing is how fast I have to be. So, for those who have managed the challenge, what sort of times did you have on other long-distance challenges? Eg how fast did you do the Wasdale FR or the 3 peaks or the Haworth Hobble etc? I realise this would only be a rough guide but it would be good for me to know what sort of standard I need to be at to make the JNC feasible. At the moment I suspect I am a fair way off the pace!

Thanks for the input on the sort of timings required to manage the JNC on schedule. It looks to be way faster than I could currently expect to run - but then again, if it was going to be easy it wouldn't have Joss Naylor's name on it. I think I shall have to do some serious speed work if I'm ever going to get close

I think I shall have to do some serious speed work if I'm ever going to get close
    If you've got the time, I'd aim to build the speed up over a couple of years, but you'll need to get in a lot of climbing as well. I already had the speed for getting under 15 hours, so I concentrated on getting the climbing in for the first six months of this year - about 40 miles & 8000-9000 feet a week. Mind you, I'd never have got under 12 hours however much training I did!
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club