Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 'Three in Three'

Normanton, Wakefield. West Riding of Yorkshire

'Three in Three'

Before the start of last Mondays (20th) 'Trunce', Andy Plummer made the announcement that there's a 'triple-crown' of races shortly (I'd forgotten that the other two were coming up)

To top it all, I start my annual-leave (for over a fortnight) on Thursday 7th, so have plans to enter all three - yes, I know they're only short races, but that suits me at the moment

1. Saturday 9th July; 'Thurlstone Chase'
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=1175

2.Sunday 10th July; 'Broomhead Chase'
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=925

3, Monday 11th July; 'Trunce' race 6
    http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

I've added a comment about the '3 in 3' to Ackworth R-R's 'facebook' page, to see if I get any offers to join me in entering all three

Anyway, to the main-point of this posting;
    What's the 'Thurlstone' course like, I asked a 'P F-R' last night at the 'Reindeer Romp', but just want a 2nd opinion on it

He told me that it's fairly steady climb, with nothing to surprise anyone, is that a fair interpretation?

I ran 'Broomhead' last year, for the first-time (27th/75 @ 33:48)
    It's interesting to note on reading an entry on another (cycling) site that I use, that it was possibly the race that kick-started my AchillesTendonitis back
    (an awkward landing on the descent, I couldn't walk properly the day after)
    Last edited by RichardAThackeray; 01-07-2011 at 11:55 AM.
    Generally to be found plodding along with 'www.ackworthroadrunnersandac.co.uk'

Re: 'Three in Three'

The link is wrong for the Broomhead Chase. I could be tempted by these...

Nothing like a get fit quick strategy... (was that fit or injured???) :w00t:

Quote Originally Posted by dominion View Post
    The link is wrong for the Broomhead Chase

Apologies
    I have amended it

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Before the start of last Mondays (20th) 'Trunce', Andy Plummer made the announcement that there's a 'triple-crown' of races shortly (I'd forgotten that the other two were coming up)

To top it all, I start my annual-leave (for over a fortnight) on Thursday 7th, so have plans to enter all three - yes, I know they're only short races, but that suits me at the moment

1. Saturday 9th July; 'Thurlstone Chase'
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=1175

2.Sunday 10th July; 'Broomhead Chase'
    http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/races.php?id=925

3, Monday 11th July; 'Trunce' race 6
    http://undeadmonkey.org.uk/trunce/

I've added a comment about the '3 in 3' to Ackworth R-R's 'facebook' page, to see if I get any offers to join me in entering all three

Anyway, to the main-point of this posting;
    What's the 'Thurlstone' course like, I asked a 'P F-R' last night at the 'Reindeer Romp', but just want a 2nd opinion on it

He told me that it's fairly steady climb, with nothing to surprise anyone, is that a fair interpretation?

I ran 'Broomhead' last year, for the first-time (27th/75 @ 33:48)
    It's interesting to note on reading an entry on another (cycling) site that I use, that it was possibly the race that kick-started my AchillesTendonitis back
    (an awkward landing on the descent, I couldn't walk properly the day after)
    Ahh the TIT series. Excellent fun, These only come around every few years when the Moon, Sun and earth are in certain positions and the race calender falls just right

I did my first TIT series about 4-5 years ago.
    Thurleston is steady, in fact I'd say it was faster than the trunce, There's no big climbs and all are runnable, more cross country than anything else, Fell shoes are not advisable but a low profile trail would be good. Some uneven fields esp if it's been hot and the fields have been baked.
    Broomhead is but a short walk from my house. Steep climb up and down, the descent can be very rough and uneven and very wet, carefull you don't go astray even though its marked and marshalled, tricky run along side the river, can be quite muddy at times.

Both races have an uphill finish which are killers and great for pinching a few places....

This year the Thurlstone chase has the added thrill of being included in the Thurlstone Fete - so there will be stalls, kiddies races and a beer tent. nothing to do with us - its being put on by the good people of Thurlstone.
    There always used to be a Fete on the same day but it fell by the wayside - now their trying to bring it back.

Ians description of the course is correct - cross country - and fast. watch out for the cows. J x
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body

Quote Originally Posted by piglet View Post
    This year the Thurlstone chase has the added thrill of being included in the Thurlstone Fete - so there will be stalls, kiddies races and a beer tent. nothing to do with us - its being put on by the good people of Thurlstone.
    There always used to be a Fete on the same day but it fell by the wayside - now their trying to bring it back.

Ians description of the course is correct - cross country - and fast. watch out for the cows. J x
    If I'm not mistaken the beer tent is being run by Mr Plumbum himself...and if so the beer in question will be....RESCUE ALE!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I did my first TIT series about 4-5 years ago.
    Thurleston is steady, in fact I'd say it was faster than the trunce, There's no big climbs and all are runnable, more cross country than anything else, Fell shoes are not advisable but a low profile trail would be good. Some uneven fields esp if it's been hot and the fields have been baked.
    Broomhead is but a short walk from my house. Steep climb up and down, the descent can be very rough and uneven and very wet, carefull you don't go astray even though its marked and marshalled, tricky run along side the river, can be quite muddy at times.
    Both races have an uphill finish which are killers and great for pinching a few places....
    Thanks for that Ian

I found out that 'Broomhead' had a bit of a uphill finish last year, when one of your club-mates (Peter Davidson) took a couple of seconds out of me in the last couple of hundred yards

Hope to see you there, & perhaps bring at least one other 'Ackworth' runnner with me.

I have the OS grid-ref, but I take it that the 'Show-Ground' will be sign-posted from Manchester Road?

From the M1 36 A616 take first exit signposted Stocksbridge at traffic lights R then quick L up hill and keep going through bolsterston and keep Right as you drop down in to Ewden Valley. It will be signposted from there

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    From the M1 36 A616 take first exit signposted Stocksbridge at traffic lights R then quick L up hill and keep going through bolsterston and keep Right as you drop down in to Ewden Valley. It will be signposted from there
    Those 'read' suspiciously like the directions to 'Broomhead'... the fact that I wrote that I ran it last year ought to have signified I know where it is???

I meant 'will the parking for the Thurlstone show be sign-posted??, I got told if I've reached 'The Huntsman' I've gone too far west

Quote Originally Posted by RichardAThackeray View Post
    Those 'read' suspiciously like the directions to 'Broomhead'... the fact that I wrote that I ran it last year ought to have signified I know where it is???

I meant 'will the parking for the Thurlstone show be sign-posted??, I got told if I've reached 'The Huntsman' I've gone too far west
    I see yes the "other" show ground is above the Huntsman but the road up is just before. It's usually signposted. Take a note as this is the road you run up at the end of the race!!