Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Overnight road bike ride

Overnight road bike ride

Would this be of any interest to anyone on here?

Inspired by the Dunwich Dynamo (http://realcycling.blogspot.com/2010...ll-report.html ) I fancy organising something similar but based oop North. The plan is to set off from Darwen at midnight and ride through quiet rural lanes and back roads through the Trough of Bowland and eventually wend a way to the sea near Glasson at daybreak. After dipping a symbolic toe or wheel in the briny we then head for a cafe at Conder Green which will open early for us. Distance is around 60 (very steady) miles and you would have to be entirely self supported (tools, spare tubes etc). The choice is then to either ride back or arrange a lift or have a car waiting there. Not a race, more of a cafe ride where hopefully everybody sticks together pretty much. I am thinking that next Friday 8th July might be the best date to have the inaugural attempt.

So, any takers or ideas/suggestions?

Re: Overnight road bike ride

LOVE the idea, especially as I just got myself a super duper light... but too far away for me and racing Saturday...
    “the cause of my pain, was the cause of my cure” Rumi

Reluctantly having to postpone 'Darwen Dynamo' due to injury. Hopefully re-scheduled for August. Will keep you posted.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Reluctantly having to postpone 'Darwen Dynamo' due to injury. Hopefully re-scheduled for August. Will keep you posted.
    Cool Depending on dates, I may be able to make a nice little trip out of it

I meant cool re postponement, obviously your injury isn't cool Hope it sorts itself soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Hanneke View Post
    I meant cool re postponement, obviously your injury isn't cool Hope it sorts itself soon!
    I guessed what you meant! ;0) Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by fishbulb View Post
    Simon, I rather like the sound of this. I'm guessing that you intend finishing at "The Cafe de Lune" on the 'old railway' cycle track at Conder Green? How early are they prepared to open for you? I only live 3 or 4 miles from there on the outskirts of Lancaster. Hmmm; if I can get the SO to drop me off in dear old Darren ( M65 services ) just before midnight - I can feel a cunning plan coming together! Would be like riding a 100km audax at 15 km/h pace, n'est pas? And a cracking on road test of the Hope Vision 2, which I've only used for running to press! Then down the cycle track into town and bed!

Ian.

As you might have guessed I have had to postpone this for the time being. I've had a bit of a prang on the bike while training for the 3 Peaks cx so I am trying to recover from this in time for the race. I will keep you posted on any developements.

Simon, hopefully a quick and full recovery. I'm out supporting one of the Bowland guys at the 3 PCX, so hopefully should see you and give you a "shout".

Ian

Simon, I still have this here proposal of yours lurking in the back of my mind!

Any chance of it becoming a reality before I'm totally over the hill - only 14 months from my 70th?

Another thought, if you were to moderate the hilliness of the route, as we are now both into riding fixed?

Just a thought; we might even get Brett to join us?
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!