Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: NEWS Ibuprofen causes A-Fib

Master

Re: NEWS Ibuprofen causes A-F

Quote Originally Posted by martmason View Post
    Oh that's me stuffed two ways now then , the NSAIDs have been part of my diet due to my peroneal tendonitis. What's the alternative?
    Ideally treat the underlying cause so that the pain/inflammation goes away, but I realize that life is often not that simple ........

This is very true, the original problem was ligament damage after a lateral sprain. Think it may be time for a big reefa

Interesting stuff? i use Nsaids but will reduce these in future, I'll ask my cardiologist the next time I see him what he thinks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    Correct - I have never taken an NSAID and would have to be in extremis to do so - easy to say that I guess as I have never had pain that did not get better by itself or with paracetamol.

Thanks Mike, I've kinda used it instead of paracetamol for headaches as I never found that worked. I suffered migraines on an almost daily basis quite a while ago and if I took ibuprofen in time it would prevent a really bad migraine. will give paracetamol another go as and when I get a headache next. tho I have to say, having suffered with daily pain I try to live with it and not take any medication if possible. best thing I found with my migraines was to sleep, seemed to be the only thing that actually did work

Master

Quote Originally Posted by cyclops View Post
    Thanks Mike, I've kinda used it instead of paracetamol for headaches as I never found that worked. I suffered migraines on an almost daily basis quite a while ago and if I took ibuprofen in time it would prevent a really bad migraine. will give paracetamol another go as and when I get a headache next. tho I have to say, having suffered with daily pain I try to live with it and not take any medication if possible. best thing I found with my migraines was to sleep, seemed to be the only thing that actually did work
    Be aware of this entity:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Medicat...eruse_headache

thanks Mike, much appreciated. I did have a decent doctor at the time of my daily migraines and they warned of just that. turned out my migraines were hormone related and a change of contraceptive pill sorted them.

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    More potential harm caused by Ibuprofen, Diclofenac etc HERE Believe me, it's not worth risking atrial fibrillation - ask Ian Dark Peak or me.
    I also suffered from AF for about 3 years, tried cutting out alcohol, caffeine, etc., none of which worked. I even had a go with Beta Blockers (which worked but weren't I felt a long term solution). Finally had an ablation procedure and I haven't had an attack in over a year. An interesting article but not the cause for me as I can't even recall the last time I had a paracetamol, never mind Ibuprofen.
    If I'd wanted a parrot I'd have bought one

Fellhound

Like most runners, I have inflammation problems regularly but only started trying NSAIDs more recently, when the inflammation was taking too long to die down on it's own (most old gits will have experienced this...) I have to say that I've found them fairly ineffective really, apart from an occasional very localised case which responded well to an anti-inflammatory gel (Feldene, Piroxicam).

Are gels and creams equally bad or is it just NSAIDs taken internally that have the risk factor?

Quote Originally Posted by Notlob till i die View Post
    I also suffered from AF for about 3 years, tried cutting out alcohol, caffeine, etc., none of which worked. I even had a go with Beta Blockers (which worked but weren't I felt a long term solution). Finally had an ablation procedure and I haven't had an attack in over a year. An interesting article but not the cause for me as I can't even recall the last time I had a paracetamol, never mind Ibuprofen.
    Good to hear Notlob as I may need the procedure in the future. BB are out for me though as my resting heart rate is too low

You see I have to say that this sort of thing makes me angry. All drugs have side effects but to say that no one should take a particlar drug becuase of an increased risk of a particular side effect is a nonsense. It's scaremongering. Better to say Ibruprofen can cause AF not causes AF.

Each case should be taken on merit and all drugs used sensibly. NSAID's have their place just as other painkillers do, all of which are all linked to their own issues.

Ibruprofen are pretty rubbish but I have had to use diclofenic on many occasions and successfully so in combination with other tablets. Lucky you Mike if you've never had an issue with pain. I lived with pain from a certain problem for years and I was limited on what pain medication I could take. By the way I also have an irregular heart problem and NSAID's have never affected me (Notlob - sadly ablation never worked for me).

In the 1990's many women were told to stop taking the pill after scaremongering in the press. In reality if half a million women stopped taking the pill one life could have been saved yet if those half million women got pregnant 25-30 would die as a result of the pregnancy (and people like me ended up getting pregant by mistake!).

Side effects need to be taken into account proportionally. You have to weigh up risks and benefits. Therefore everyone has to make their own decision based on their own circumstances. Sure NSAID's have their issues but they also have their benefits. As the cardiac nurse said, it's a small risk.