Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lakes, Meres & Waters

Lakes, Meres & Waters

First of all congratulations to Dave Makin & Andy Pooler for a successful completion of the Lakelade "Lakes, Meres & Waters" a route of some 100+ miles with approx 22,000ft of ascent. they started at Loweswater and after visiting the 26 various Lakes, Meres & Waters finished their outing at Overwater. The total time for the outing was 35 hours.

This challenge was originally concieved by Leo Pollard and Pete Schofield, but it was Leo who was the first to complete the round. Followed two weeks later by Pete Schofield. Next to have a successful round was Alan Heaton followed by Joss Naylor.

This round has largely been overlooked and both Dave and Andy were hoping that some renewed interest might be shown after their completion. Dave is more than willing to pass on any information about routes and timing should anyone want it. You can contact him directly or via this post and my mail box.

Posted 6/7/2011 by Colin Jones

Fellhound

Re: Lakes, Meres & Waters

Hi Colin,

Good to see someone having a go at a big challenge in the Lakes without just jumping on the BG bandwagon. There are some great challenges out there that get unfairly neglected. It seems everyone just wants the BIG NAME on their CV :thunbdown:

The Lakes, Waters & Meres is an obvious objective but I'm not sure what the route is. Do you have any info on the route taken by Dave and Andy?

AW

What a coincidence I was only thinking about Joss Naylor account of his run. Details would be good.

The 'running' order for route is as follows;
    Loweswater, Crummock Water, Buttermere, Ennerdale Water, Wast Water, Devoke Water, Goat's Water, Low Water, Levers Water, Coniston Water, Esthwaite Water, Elter Water, Grasmere, Rydal Water, Windermere, Skeggles Water, Haweswater, Small Water, Blea Water, Hayeswater, Brothers Water, Ullswater, Thirlmere, Derwent Water, Bassenthwaite Lake and finally Over Water.

The route taken is up to the individual and much of it is pretty obvious when seen on a map but there are several sections where there is a choice of route.

Fellhound

Yep, I can see that there are some route choices. It's a great-looking route in the main but it looks like roads might be a depressingly tempting option on some sections though.. ?

Great running guys.

Really good to see people doing different things, it starts to get people thinking instead of just following. you never know someone might second the Chris Upton round (before my seed germinates!)

Did you skinny dip in each one? :w00t:
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Super Moderator

At the weekend a mate mentioned the 'Frog Graham'. Anyone done one? Sounded a good run / splash / dry out
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by superflyguy View Post
    Great running guys.

Really good to see people doing different things, it starts to get people thinking instead of just following. you never know someone might second the Chris Upton round (before my seed germinates!)
    I tried a couple of years ago on a windy day. in the end the wind got the better of me as it was very tiring and I hadn't done much in preparation. I got quite close on an amended route before giving up with a couple of hills to go as I'd have run out of time and I was in quite a state - couldn't stop violent hiccuping which got quite painful! it was a shame as I was very close but faded badly in the night.

I was just going to post about this achievement, as Leo Pollard wanted it to be put on here.

Well done to dave and Andy

Well done to Dave and Andy on what sounded like a truely awesome and very beautiful route.

Given that this is something that very few people have done it would be good to see more attempts (dare I say I might have a go) particularly that this weekend is the 30th anniversary of Leo Pollard's success at the route.