Page 87 of 88 FirstFirst ... 377785868788 LastLast

Thread: Fell running blogs

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    No more 86-hour working weeks, then?
    One of the main reasons for leaving ;-)

Blog: "I wasn't the best by any means, but I was a tryer" https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2018/...i-was-a-tryer/

Master
    http://theadventuresofachewvalleyfel...3/on-road.html

Musings about road running mostly
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Interesting...

Despite being a contributor in the Training thread, I know little of the science behind it. But a very good marathon runner from our club (2:15 or some such unbelievable time) advised against running 'long' races in training for a marathon, i.e 20 mile races. He said concentration should be more on the quality sessions and you need to be running consistently hard and fast, and the 20 mile effort would take too much out of you.

But he, and you, are far faster than i'll ever be, so take it with a pinch of salt. I know he ran a 2:15 marathon one week, followed by a 2:17 the next, and had a 10km time of 30mins-something, so i'm sure he knew what he was talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by TurboTom View Post
    good to take a step back and consolidate mentally every now and then, something I'm not great at doing. I've done more road running the last few months, also aiming at Manchester, to mix up my training after 8 years of fell bashing - change the stimulus.

I did a few road races (10k, 10mile, half) in December having stayed clear of the black stuff (save road relays and the odd park run) for ~5 years. This year everything long's been M-pace targeted (6min/miles, in actuality I'll be aiming at 6:15 on the day), with Tuesday intervals counting as a good secondary long run. I'm doing Salford 10km Good Friday where I'll be going 10k pace not M though!
    I was initially going to target ~2:35, but the lure of an Edale champs race and the threat that 'everyone fecks up their first marathon' meant I haven't committed fully to 'proper' marathon training, though I have got plenty of more roady miles in than normal. The aim next Sunday is to get a Championship time to use at London next year, then go properly at that.

My plan was to get straight back on the fells big time after Manchester, b ut I don't think I'll do as much as I initially planned. I'm not a great short racer so some shorter road races will be done over summer to try and take a step forward.
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    Interesting...

Despite being a contributor in the Training thread, I know little of the science behind it. But a very good marathon runner from our club (2:15 or some such unbelievable time) advised against running 'long' races in training for a marathon, i.e 20 mile races. He said concentration should be more on the quality sessions and you need to be running consistently hard and fast, and the 20 mile effort would take too much out of you.

But he, and you, are far faster than i'll ever be, so take it with a pinch of salt. I know he ran a 2:15 marathon one week, followed by a 2:17 the next, and had a 10km time of 30mins-something, so i'm sure he knew what he was talking about.
    I agree with that for the most part. It does take a lot out of the legs but given I'd never raced above a half marathon and hadn't tested running at, I thought it was a good idea to give it bash. If anything the confidence boost has helped and I've kind of adjusted my taper to allow recovery and training. It was 4 weeks out too so quite a decent gap between. Not sure I would feel the need to do a 20 again in a training block though.
    Trying to plod up hills every day slightly faster than the day before

Super Moderator
    Hope you’re going to running in pink tutu and leg warmers Tom

Blogs: a taste of Billy Bland's take on life: https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2018/...i-was-a-tryer/ and another chance to hear Billy talk about his training (and anything you want to ask him, in fact): https://itsahill.wordpress.com/2018/...h-billy-bland/

My latest blog entry. The odd pic. felly.

http://fellephant.com

Banned
    Ha ha ha last time i was at the NDG race you got lost😉

Wharfy might have an old colour camera for a primative Lancashire lad.🆓️

Good stuff Mark hope you are well and smiling mate.