Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan Booth RIP

Dan Booth RIP

I am sorry to have to report the tragic death of 'Desparate' Dan Booth, at the age of just 42.

For those who never met him, Dan was a member of TeamBath AC and of MdC in South Wales, He was one of the better ultra-runners - a 23.17 Paddy Buckley Round in 2006 (only the 33rd completion) followed by a Bob Graham in 2007, a South Wales Traverse, Elite KIMM/OMM's, a UTMB and various High Peak Marathons etc, and crowned by a Marathon des Sables just a couple of months ago, in which he finished in the top third.

I first met Dan in a gyn about 15 years ago and, spotting his Plas-y-Brenin Triathlon t-shirt, recruited him for TeamBath. We trained together one lunchtime a week (it's amazing how far you can get from your desk in an hour) and I was happy to support him in his various challenges - memorable moments were the final leg of the PBR, when we hared off the Carneddi into Capel to get the magic sub-24hr time, and on various of his attempts to run the 103mile Cotswold Way in under 24hrs - something he is now never going to acheive (or the Ramsay Round he was planning, to join the elite who have done the three big challenges).

The irony is that Dan had a massive heart attack whilst having breakfast with his wife and young children last Wednesday - being a natural fighter, he struggled for six days before finally giving in on Tuesday.

I shall miss him very much.

Andy
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Re: Dan Booth RIP

That is truly shocking news.

I met Dan a few times, notably when he ran OCTs with my clubmate and friend Roy Ruddle the same year I ran with Alison.

It was the charity that I work for, Yorkshire Cancer Research, for whom Dan ran the MdS earlier this year.

We chatted by email a few times about his prep for the MdS and his plans for the future; he struck me as great guy who was always up for a big challenge.

Thoughts are with his wife and family.

This is going to make my leg of Fred's Run next weekend even more emotional.

Rest easy in those mountains Dan.
    The only one who can tell you "You can't" is you. And you don't have to listen.

Super Moderator

I didn't know Dan but this makes very sad reading
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Andy and All,

Dan was a well known runner and enormously respected. Although I didn't know him well, the stories about him and of his epic hardness put my pathetic, lily-livered efforts to shame.

A few of us at Team Bath have suggested naming an event/race after him. I'm not much of a fell runner (tarmac is my friend) and don't carry much authority in the fell running world and so maybe Andy would consider taking this forward?

All the best,

Alan Buckingham

I hadn't know Dan long, having met at the High Peak Marathon after being roped into running as fourth man in his team. I struggled to keep up. Can't believe the news. My thoughts go out to his family...

Didn't know Dan but My thoughts go out to his family,

I've known a few people go with heart attack before their time, It's good to see he at least lived life to the full.

Truly shocking. For an obviously fit guy to have a fatal heart attack aged just 42 is just unbelievable. His family must be suffering right now, what a sad story
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Truly shocking. For an obviously fit guy to have a fatal heart attack aged just 42 is just unbelievable. His family must be suffering right now, what a sad story
    One of the English International Ultra running team, George Dayantis, lovely guy, died last month, 49, ran for England and did 7:11 for 100k only in March this year, same thing, massive heart attack. His wife's set up a just giving page for young cardiac deaths, very sad.

http://ultrarunningworld.co.uk/blog/...tis-1962-2011/

Oh my goodness, just saw this on the QAH thread and wondered who Dan Booth was. Very sad to hear this news though, really feel for his family.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    It's good to see he at least lived life to the full.
    Seconded, thoughts and sympathies to Dan's family and friends.
    Hills and Guinness!