Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Dan Booth RIP

Re: Dan Booth RIP

Thanks for that Morf, sounds like he was a proper top bloke who shall be missed by a great number of people. I hope that can be of at least a little comfort to his family.

Some great tributes here to a really good guy. I first met Dan when we were grouped on the Long Mynd - it was only at the end I found out we only lived a few miles from each other, and since then we've run together on many occasions. Night runs out with the Bath Bats were a particular favourite! He was a sound man, a good friend and a truly resilient runner. I find it very difficult to belive he's gone.
    There can be only one

I believe the funeral is next monday 11am at Weston Crem near Bath. I am going to ask for time off work to attend. Is there anyone else going or would anyone like to pass any specific messages? I was going to print some of the comments and memories from this thread and leave it with the family for when they feel ready to look at it. I hope knowing that he touched so many runners lives through his sporting events and epics may help in some small way.

Personally Ive know Dan through the MDC and fell races since about 2004 and he used to pop into a gear shop in Bath where I used to work and we'd shoot the breeze about running and injuries. Probably my proudest acheivement was finishing a 78 mile ultra just 10 minutes ahead of him in 2010 knowing full well how fit he was and his running pedigree including the PBR he did(!) (he did have a bit of a 'mare at the end, probably the only reason I pipped him in the final 5 miles - I did offer him gels and water!!) We e.mailed regularly since then about races, ultras and injuries and I followed his MdS progress avidly over the web. He tried to recruit me for the high peak 40 but I turned him down due to other races, I wish Id said yes. A top bloke.

People, I am passing on condolences from the Welsh Fell Running Association who noted this sad event at their committee meeting at the weekend. The WFRA secretary wonders whether family and friends would wish for an obituary to be placed in the WFRA newsletter. I suggested I would post on here to find out if this is something that would be appreciated and whether there would be someone from his close community who wish to write it. Please let me know.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I discovered this sad and shocking news this morning.

Quite by chance, I saw Dan off on his first BG attempt. I had completed my round earlier that week and had stayed on to do road support for one of my pacers the previous night/day. Another of my pacers was supporting on a round that night, so we went to see them off. One of the other supporters there said that Dan would be starting an hour later and so we waited around to see him off too.

I was sorry to read later that he had had to abandon that attempt – and then really pleased to see later in the year that he had succeeded with another one.

I’ve browsed on this forum for a few years now and take so much pleasure and inspiration from following the exploits of people whose names I know well. Dan’s was one of those names – and so perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised how affecting this news is.

Sincere condolences to his family and friends…
    Simon

Quote Originally Posted by Helen0779 View Post
    I believe the funeral is next monday 11am at Weston Crem near Bath. I am going to ask for time off work to attend. Is there anyone else going or would anyone like to pass any specific messages? I was going to print some of the comments and memories from this thread and leave it with the family for when they feel ready to look at it. I hope knowing that he touched so many runners lives through his sporting events and epics may help in some small way.
    Hi Helen - the funeral is indeed Monday at Haycombe Crem at 11am, and then back to the Weston Hotel... the family are very happy for Dan's many running friends to be there and I hope there will be a good turn-out.

I had had the same thought as you about tributes and this is in hand - if there is anything you'd like to contribute in addition to what you have already written, can you e-mail me?

We had a BatRun last night in memory of Dan - if I had known you were back from the Alps you would most certainly have had an invite - will make sure you get copied into future e-mails. Finished with an impromptu mass swim across the Avon at Warleigh Weir, much to the amusement of some picnic-ers - Dan would have approved!!
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

Yes, I guess I could have written a bit more, or worded what I had done better but Ive only just seen this. Doh. It was good to see so many people turn out today.

H

Your contribution was fine and I am sure it, and those of all the others who contributed, will be much appreciated by Lisa and by Dan's children in years to come.

You're right - it was good to see so many there... a dignified ceremony - he will be missed.

Catch up with you soon, when back from Corsica and the BatRuns restart...
    "You gotta put a little bit of ****ing fairy dust over the bastard"

I did not know Dan well but was always pleased to meet him again when he entered our Mendip Mashup every year; first as a team of two in 2008, solo in 2009, as a family team with his daughter in 2010 and again solo this year. He was always smiling and keen to be enjoying the event, whatever the weather and difficulty of the course.

He ran our hilly Uphill to Wells relay, last September as a team of one and surprised everyone at the finish by politely asking if there was any chance of a lift back to the start. He had only been focused on the running and had given no thought to how he was going to get home.

Martin

I didn't know him, but would too like to pass on my condolences to his family and friends. That's no age, and with a wife and young children.

RIP