Page 3 of 24 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Re: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    Only a month away now!
    I'm in strict training ...and I'm only a marshal!
    My partner and his mates are just back from a final look at the Moelwyns and Rhinogs and getting really excited now. See you at the marshalls' briefing DFtS. What job have you been allocated? Mrs H and I are on drop bags and mid-day resupply.

We are also getting excited now - nothing to do with all the Berghaus kit of course :w00t: - ooooooh best not be seen about camp in my bright yellow Lidl poncho .

Missus and I are on camp construction, should be a good, fun week. Arriving for breifing Sunday pm, meet you then?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Sixteen more sleeps - who's your money on? Can't wait to see it all unfold and really excited to be involved with such an epic event. May the best man or woman win!!

I have no idea who may win it, I've never heard of 90% of the runners. However good individuals may be, strange things can happen to even the best over 5 consecutive days of mountain running, it will be mighty interesting to see who holds up best.
    I predict that a few will be in pieces by end of day 4, which is a fairly safe prediction!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

Hi Moulinclimber and Molehill,

I'm in the bunch that are placing & collecting the controls - should be good training!

I've only heard of a few of the competitors but being the inquisitive sort and having a few low-energy hours after a long run, I googled a few of them. Between them they have completed the Canadian Death Race, the White Mountains 100 (where you can compete on a bike, on skis or on foot pulling a sled) & the Ultra Trail Southwest, won the Old County Tops & the previous Dragon's Back race. At least one is a gifted climber, and there are the Saunders 2011 & GL3D 2012 course planner, the holder of the Ladies Lake District 24hr record and one of the nutters who undertook the Flora 1000 mile challenge, which was running 1 mile every hour for 1000 hours! Another competitor had enough left in her legs to jump a fence at the end of the Lakeland 100. And I guess there are some who've not competed much but nevertheless have the guts to take on the Dragon!

I'm looking forward to it - see you there,
    Nigel

Senior Member Don't fear the sweeper's Avatar

I'll be interested to see what fell shoes they use. I generally use road shoes for ultras and the few times I've used fell shoes my feet have been a bit the worse for wear!

Quote Originally Posted by molehill View Post
    I predict that a few will be in pieces by end of day 4, which is a fairly safe prediction!
    I predict that a few will be in pieces by the end of Day 1 - it's going to be very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by Don't fear the sweeper View Post
    I'll be interested to see what fell shoes they use. I generally use road shoes for ultras and the few times I've used fell shoes my feet have been a bit the worse for wear!
    Hi Nigel - it may pay to have a selection of shoes but as the maps are only issued after the start each day there could be a bit of educated guessing!! My partner Steve Wathall favours Inov-8 Roclite 315 and his pal Max Howard swears by Sportiva Crosslites but inevitably there will be some road over the five days. They were testing their new Vapour Storm jackets over the Rhinogs last week and were impressed.

Bring it on and looking forwards to meeting everybody

Charmian

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Cheers! Great article! I'm not sure I entirely agree that its the worlds toughest race mind! Tho' like all these things its subjective!...and clearly, I've not done it myself! It is going to be awesome!!
    I M Povey New Marske Harriers
    http://manwithoutashed.blogspot.com