Page 24 of 24 FirstFirst ... 14222324

Thread: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

Re: Dragon’s Back Race 2012

There were very few times on our route when we were not on a track, path, trail, forest road or 'shudder' tarmac. It was just a question of linking it all up. The only bit that was really trackless was moel ysgyfarnogod and I defy any human to make a mark on that place!

No one's Dragons Back is valid yet because there is no agreed route. But circumnavigating obvious summits on the running line is what I was objecting to....and the reasons why that became necessary. At no time did I 'pour scorn' on any of the runners efforts. I am only too well aware of how strenuous day 1 had become.

Totally agree that the joy of mountain running is the infinite variability. How many BG attempts have been scuppered because the weather closed in or relentless sun fried the runners into submission. Or cramp, lack of food, injury etc etc??. The route and the time limit to join 'the club' are the measures of success which allows any runner to compare their efforts with others. Planning for the variables are all part and parcel of doing it.
    So, why not have a running time limit for DB over an agreed route? All the other variables will be challenge enough!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master

Out of interest, would your agreed route include all the peaks on day 1 of this year's event?

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    Out of interest, would your agreed route include all the peaks on day 1 of this year's event?
    People should not get these two threads mixed up. What Wheeze is proposing is not a suggested (compulsory) route for the race but rather a linear(ish) BG for Wales. So this years race has nothing to do with it.

Master

Wheeze suggested "So, why not have a running time limit for DB over an agreed route?". I was just asking, out of interest (no hidden agenda!), which hills he would include in that route, specifically (because it's the only part that I know at all well) whether all the 3000 footers would feature.

Quote Originally Posted by Toreador View Post
    You will find Wheeze's route fromn 2007 on the other thread (What is the DB?), unless he wants to add some more tops :w00t:?

And I've put in a suggestion for a route, they have quite a few differences which just goes to show the many available choices and what fun we can have arguing and justifying our preferences. If anyone wants to join the debate - in a friendly way please.

Although we may never all agree on a route (fat chance we will), at least this would provide ideas to anyone wanting to come to Wales and try their hand at the DB, some basics for them to chose from. And who knows, perhaps a line would be approved (by whom?) as a set challenge for those that want it?
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by stumpysmith View Post
    Wheeze or follow your own route and promote it maybe have it as an alternative to the Dragons Back.

Surely it must be time to let this dragon rest?? Cheers
    Stumpy
    someone please Organise this event
    I may offer some help if needed? 2013 or another 20 years hence?