Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Power

Wind Power

Just read this on one the blogs on the blog strand - powerful stuff - stopped me in my tracks as I imagined how I might feel if my favourite hill tops went the same way...High Brown Knoll, Heptonstall Moor, Stoodly Pike....

“By the headwaters of the River Findhorn, lies Carn na Saobhaidhe, the cairn of the fox’s den, arguably the remotest Corbett in the land… a vast, sprawling hill which I first climbed with my friend Peter Evans as part of a cross-Scotland walk many years ago… We couldn’t have imagined, in our wildest nightmares, that these hills could be taken over by towering metal giants, like something from an HG Wells novel. How wrong we were. As I lay by the small summit cairn and allowed the vastness of this wild landscape to percolate my own spirit I’m afraid I cried. I wept tears of frustration at man’s arrogance and greed. I wept tears of helplessness that people like me, to whom these wild places mean everything, couldn’t effectively fight the political/corporate forces that are determined to steal Scotland’s soul in the name of green energy. And I wept tears of genuine sorrow that my children’s children wouldn’t enjoy these places as I have done.”
    Last edited by Trig; 11-07-2011 at 12:52 PM.

Re: Wind Power

Trig - it's happening all over Scotland. Just google and search for plenty on it. Find Alan Sloman's blog.

If all goes to "plan", Loch Ness will be encased by a "ring of steel". THE most iconic loch dominated by huge man-made structures.

In the last few weeks, there's been a proposal to site turbines right on the edge of Ben Wyvis, the mountain that dominates the skyline from Inverness and the Black Isle. These hideous structures will be 400ft high! And they'll be right in the way of the wild, eastern corries of the mountain. Our landlord has already managed to get articles in national newspapers and I hope the publicity will see this one thrown out.

Over at Corriemoille and Lochluichart, there are already wind factories and planning approved for more. These dominate the view from the Fannichs and Strathfarrar hills.

The SNP government has committed itself to wind power, even though it's been proved to be ineffective, inefficient and hugely costly. Also, when you see peat-covered hillside ripped to pieces to build these things, you can't tell me it's "carbon-friendly"! And, again google this, freedom of information requests have uncovered hundreds of thousands of pounds paid to the owners of these facilities to turn them off because the power is not wanted!!

It's all a big con, making fortunes for the multinational energy companies and landowners, ably supported by politicians who have a vested interest (go and check out one of Mrs Clegg's corporate positions!).

Rant over.......for now!
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Oh, and just to add.....be very wary or your favourite hills WILL go that way. There are enough folk in Hebden and surrounding area who are so "green" they'll believe everything they're fed and promote such things. And there are a fair few farmers and other landowners who can find no other way to make money out of their land anymore. Let's face it, Midgley Moor must be a prime candidate for a proposal at some point!

blog

Quote Originally Posted by Trig View Post
    .... that people like me, to whom these wild places mean everything....
    If atmospheric pollution carries on at present rates, these 'wild paces' might indeed become exceedingly wild, so perhaps we will need to get used to wind turbines now and give our 'children’s children' a fair chance. ydt

If we really need these turbines to save the planet well then so be it -but I think I will need to read the facts/reports.
    In the meantime I am worried that most people are probably like myself (ie not sure on the facts or worse still not interested) and by the time we are it will be too late to have a sensible discussion.
    What I am sure about is that I love the very few wild places and hills we still have left and that I do not always trust politicians and global corporations to make the best decisions for them.

Trig, for some facts, it's worth getting hold of a book called "The Wind Farm Scam" by John Etherington. It's a starting point, because it's written with scientific fact but without the hysteria that surrounds this subject.

If I truly believed that wind power was the answer and the right way forward, I would "get used to" their intrusion into our wild places. But I've read enough and discovered enough to realise that wind power has little or nothing to do with climate change and everything to do with profits and greed.

blog

I do what I can to avoid courting controversy on these forums. There are a lot of sensible, reasonable, great people here whom I would hate to offend. A traditional face to face conversation adds a context and spontaneity that is often missing from what people contribute on forums. This is especially the case where the subject at hand is sensitive and contraversial.

... so now that is said...

I have to say that I second Yiannis here.

The threats we face (and have contributed to) are immense and the sooner we start to address them seriously, the less the easier impact will be to swallow. The placement of a tidal barrage in the Severn Estuary is perhaps the most sensitive scheme... but the unique habitat it would destroy is also threatened by the climate change that it would (in part) mitigate.

Wind turbines have their faults, but we can't carry on in this fossil fuel dependent way without expecting disastrous consequences.

N.B. I don't have a perfect solution, (and I don't think there is a single magic bullet) and don't profess to being an expert, but what the future holds for my children and grand children disturbs me...
    Last edited by lantern rouge; 11-07-2011 at 01:14 PM.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

I consider the blue touch paper well and truly lit.

A book worth a look?

The Weather Makers by Tim Flannery
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Not sure myself about the effectiveness of these eyesores..but last winter we had weeks of very cold weather and very little wind, most of the windgenerators i could see ( and i can see alot from the N wales coast) were stationary , so where was the electricity coming from to keep every one warm....Not wind obviously. IMO its just not reliable enough.

Quote Originally Posted by creaky View Post
    Not sure myself about the effectiveness of these eyesores..but last winter we had weeks of very cold weather and very little wind, most of the windgenerators i could see ( and i can see alot from the N wales coast) were stationary , so where was the electricity coming from to keep every one warm....Not wind obviously. IMO its just not reliable enough.
    The power was coming from the oil and coal stations which are needed to mirror EVERY bit of power produced by turbines. You are correct, of course. Our coldest conditions generally coincide with no wind and, indeed, wind speeds have been forecast to reduce over the next 40 years.

I find the "we have to do something" argument to be quite sad. It's aimed at those of us who dislike wind power as though we were not concerned about the climate. I am, I just KNOW that wind power isn't the way forward and huge amounts of money are being spent to subsidise it and make profits for multinationals when that money could be being used to properly research and develop a solution.

blog