Page 8 of 13 FirstFirst ... 678910 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Power

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Are you comparing when they both run at capacity? The problem with wind is they often don't.

Are you sure it's 100 as well? It would seem you should have added a 0 for most of the installed turbines.

Heysham 1150 MW and a turbine up to 1.5MW.

Yes I know they have some recently installed turbines at a declared 8MW but when they only run at 30% capacity (typical) you're still looking at close to 500 of these to match Heysham 1.
    8MW run at 8MW at wind speeds as low as 10m/s, not hard offshore, next generation will be 15MW and beyond 1.5MW is old news, 3.6MW is industry standard

Quote Originally Posted by Daletownrunner View Post
    8MW run at 8MW at wind speeds as low as 10m/s, not hard offshore, next generation will be 15MW and beyond 1.5MW is old news, 3.6MW is industry standard
    The first 8MW were installed in the last 2 years and there aren't that many of them out there yet.

Burbo Bank 2 has them and has installed capacity of 254MW or less then 1/4 of Heysham.

It is currently operating at 37%, one of the best rates in the sector, so that's an actual capacity of 94MW.

And Heysham is old technology you are comparing the capacity of wind turbines that might be running in the UK in 5-10 years at 30-40% with a 40+ year old technology that's due to close in 5 years.

There are wider issues with wind as well, as have been touched on by others.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    The first 8MW were installed in the last 2 years and there aren't that many of them out there yet.

Burbo Bank 2 has them and has installed capacity of 254MW or less then 1/4 of Heysham.

It is currently operating at 37%, one of the best rates in the sector, so that's an actual capacity of 94MW.

And Heysham is old technology you are comparing the capacity of wind turbines that might be running in the UK in 5-10 years at 30-40% with a 40+ year old technology that's due to close in 5 years.

There are wider issues with wind as well, as have been touched on by others.

87 8MW off Walney, so there are a few, plus a bunch more off the East coast, I agree Heysham is old tech, I only picked it as it was local I am a nuclear fan, modern process control will prevent any major disasters barring operator error but this not withstanding, nuclear has and does leave a terrible legacy for future generations

Not MSR Daletown. MSR will help remove the legacy from old nuclear tech. We really should be pushing for it.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Master
    I think the animal kingdom will do a whole lot better when we humans are not around.

https://news.nationalgeographic.com/...ed-extinction/

We must not forget that Humans are just a part of the planets Eco System and as such no more important than any other particular part of our planets elements, however because we think we are intelligent we are potentially the most harmful and destructive element on the planet, that smart that we are hell bent on destroying ourselves
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post

We must not forget that Humans are just a part of the planets Eco System and as such no more important than any other particular part of our planets elements
    How can you write such rubbish. Which other species on the planet has the ability to do so much damage to the world? We are hugly important, and our decisions about how WE decide to treat the planet is critical as it will determine the outcome for the entire ecosystem.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    How can you write such rubbish. Which other species on the planet has the ability to do so much damage to the world? We are hugly important, and our decisions about how WE decide to treat the planet is critical as it will determine the outcome for the entire ecosystem.
    I rest my case and am out of here
    The older I get the Faster I was

There's no doubt we are just a mere hiccup in a long and turbulent history. There was a time when land masses were covered with dense forestation and the atmosphere would have a been a toxic brew of way too much oxygen. There were other times of severe vulcanism that would have spewed out volumes of CO2 and other gasses that make our current pre-occupations look pathetic! The difference is that the organisms who were affected by the mass extinction events that took place in these times were mere passengers whereas we can think about trying to survive the change. But it must be about trying to survive not influence. All this bleating about trying to reverse climatic trends ignores the massive latency in the system. We wont reverse what is already happening for considerable time....measured in generations. But I guess we try to make the swing less severe so that whoever survives after the next, say 10 generations, can return to something like a more equitable environment.....maybe!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Quote Originally Posted by Wheeze View Post
    All this bleating about trying to reverse climatic trends ignores the massive latency in the system.
    hence we should be focussing on being environmentally responsible rather than saviours of the planet. The scaremongering does nothing to further the cause - just ask George Osborne
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrPatrickBarry View Post
    I actually think solar panels are worse than wind turbines. At least between turbines you have natual landscape, While with panels you just have hectares of land completly covered.
    It depends whether you are considering centralised or local distributed generation.

I have 5kw cells on a roof in north west that are invisible in the sense that they cannot be seen from the road, and a big 14 kWh tesla battery in the garage. So I generate 85 percent of what I use, only dipping below in Dec and Jan. I also Generate enough to heat water by electric for six months of the summer during which my energy bills are near zero. The battery is what turns useless to useful. In those numbers we cook electric, and have a heat pump tumble drier. I will have some left over to power an electric runabout for local journeys in summer, although I am waiting for the specs to improve to buy one.

I cannot do that with wind and certainly not invisibly.
    Last edited by Oracle; 18-04-2019 at 10:32 PM.