Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
particularly the " I want to be able to use power ad infinitum, but I do not want to see any turbines " brigade. We all know what to do - much less travel/buy local/recycle/let the car rot/fewer children/fewer pets/no BBQs/etc but we choose not to act and future generations will suffer accordingly.
Funnily enough, I know few, if any, who take such an appalling attitude but I do see people who are against turbines for good reason tarred with this brush in the media if they dare to speak out.

I actually think the vast majority who are against turbines care passionately about the environment and the problem of global warming. The fact is that we should be finding a realistic solution, not pouring money into one that doesn't work.

And, yes, you are 100% correct about the priorities that we should have. Power usage is the main point governments and individuals should be attacking, not spending billions on creating new energy. Go through any town or city at night and tell me how many of those lights in office blocks and on advertising boards NEED to be on. How many people do you know who leave every light in the house on?

The way forward, I've come to the conclusion, is electricity rationing. Allow so much per month per household, flex it based on the number of people in the household. Everyone gets so worked up about how scarce a resource it will be...well let's start now by stopping people having their televisions on 24 hours a day etc.

Of course, that's not going to happen - it makes governments unpopular with the masses and makes no profits for the energy companies. Better to continue with an inefficient energy programme which transfers money from the people to big companies and rich landowners.