Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Wind Power

Re: Wind Power

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    It's not Stoodley Pike, unless I'm reading wrong, the next ones are in the Sourhall to Wardle area.
    With that number of turbines each 3? times the height of Nelson's column Stoodley Pike (and every other high place within 10 miles will be dominated by them)
    Last edited by Trig; 12-07-2011 at 11:12 AM.

Master

Mr1470: "Anyway, as an aside, and as something to ponder on.....
    http://breakingnews.heraldscotland.c...1304251519691A ......"

At least this shows they do produce significant amounts of power when it is windy .....

We continue to beat this subject to death. What are we gonna do? In the first instance, lets think about improving personal responsibilty for energy use. It's not beyond the ability of energy companies to now provide a visual panel showing energy use in the house that could be located in the hall or kitchen. The user could calibrate it show actual cost depending on their tariff. By actually seeing what we are using we may have some hope of modifying general energy consumption behaviour.

But then, it's not in the energy companies interests to make us reduce our use, is it????
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mr1470 View Post
    Oh, and just to add.....be very wary or your favourite hills WILL go that way. There are enough folk in Hebden and surrounding area who are so "green" they'll believe everything they're fed and promote such things. And there are a fair few farmers and other landowners who can find no other way to make money out of their land anymore. Let's face it, Midgley Moor must be a prime candidate for a proposal at some point!
    I question this - the green middle classes and general liberati are all for wearing their environmental credentials on their sleeves, but driving around the rural NE as I do, it is these same people who erect signs in their villages campaigning *against* wind farms that might spoil the view from their kitchens. As ever, it's a case of 'not in my back yard'. I think they imagine that we can knowck down those awful tower blocks those poor people live in and stick some wind turbines up there instead. But on 'their' hills? Not on their watch!

I also find it ironic that to save the environment, we must ruin it. I appreciate there is a difference between spoiling a view, and submerging half of Britain under-water (or whatever the latest consequence of Global Warming is supposed to be), but for the return in energy we get, is it worth it?

As an island nation, surely hydro-electric is the way to go. Supplemented by long-term investment in *whispers* nuclear power and a Government backed strategy of funding research into developing hydrogen fuels as a safe, effecient, cost-effective alternative to oil..
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by southernsoftie View Post
    As an island nation, surely hydro-electric is the way to go. Supplemented by long-term investment in *whispers* nuclear power and a Government backed strategy of funding research into developing hydrogen fuels as a safe, effecient, cost-effective alternative to oil..
    Why whisper Nuclear? It's the way to go - France has been going nuclear for years, with considerable success

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Why whisper Nuclear? It's the way to go - France has been going nuclear for years, with considerable success
    Have a look at the "No to nuclear now" thread started by Readus - would you want to live near a nuclear reactor?

Why not ? Mr naylor has lived downwind from a nuclear plant for years...I believe he has even worked there. Perhaps thats the secret of his ability..The mans a mutant with superpowers.

Master

Interesting article in the Independent on solar panels - it would seem they are only of real benefit if someone is at home during the day and using the washing machine and dishwasher - in other words only if they have a fairly large electricity bill in the first place. No easy answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    ...would you want to live near a nuclear reactor?
    Depends if it was an antique unit, on the edge of a major plate boundary in a tsunami risk area.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I've quite happily lived between 2 Nuke stations and currently live 15 miles from another. Ain't never bothered me a damn. I'd be more worried about living in Cornwall.
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth