Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst ... 910111213 LastLast

Thread: Sierre Zinal

Re: Sierre Zinal

http://iainsrunning.blogspot.de/2013...rre-zinal.html

Some pics of the route from the recce the day before... deffo recomend it. If I'm in Europe next summer its a sure thing as I can't leave such a classic race with a time I think I can better..

Re: Sierre Zinal

Planning on doing this.Given the size of the field and with,I understand,the course getting narrow early on,it must get congested.Is there any seeding system based on predicted time for your start line position?Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by gazb View Post
    Planning on doing this.Given the size of the field and with,I understand,the course getting narrow early on,it must get congested.Is there any seeding system based on predicted time for your start line position?Thanks.
    Not really, I think the elite get space at the front but otherwise its everyman for himself. There is a good of road or so to start which is upp hill so the field things out and then its a fairly wide trail so you can overtake.. I was towards the front so it was thinner found it no issue letting people pass or passing others.

It's a long enough race that people seem to know to start sensibly.

Master
    The first 100m or so is on dirt track, then it is uphill road for about 1k, then sharp left up a trail, which is steep and narrow enough in places so that intermittent walking is inevitable - after 2-3k this eases. There are sections later in the race - immediately before and a while after the Hotel Weisshorn and during the final descent - where overtaking is difficult. Despite the length of the race it is worth doing a decent warm up so that you are not too slow on that 1k stretch of bitumen.

Cheers guys.The 2 of us from Staffs Moorlands will be hoping to get round in sub-3h15,so I was worried we would get held-up at the start,but that sounds OK.

Cheers guys.The 2 of us from Staffs Moorlands will be hoping to get round in sub-3h15,so I was worried we would get held-up at the start,but that sounds OK.
    Sub 3:15 you'll be well up the front... top 100 anyway. I was 3:19 last year and 79th. I really struggled with the altitude, normally don't. Not sure why but just couldn't breath a full breath, just felt horrid.

I had no congestion issues at all. I thought it started entirely on the road?

But after the initial climb your over 2000m for most of the race so it does affect you.

Any kit requirements for Sierre Zinal please?Also,we're doing a race in the French Alps the week before - Sur Les Traces de Bouquetin (15km,550m).Same question,if anyone knows.Thanks.

Just back from doing this & I wanted to say what a fantastic race experience this was.I'd thoroughly recommend it to everyone.My favourite one in 30 years of racing at home & abroad.Lovely to chat to some of the Brits racing there too,and there was a fantastic 5th place from Robbie Simpson.
    As for the race itself,the start was very congested,but that was the only downside.The initial climb went on and on,and on,but then it was good running with a steep tricky descent to round it off.
    Personally pleased to squeeze onto the Vet leaderboard and under 3h10.The great post-race celebrations numbed the pain though!
    Go for it everyone...just beware the Swiss hotel prices!

image.jpg
    Robbie Simpson on his way to a superb 5th place at Sierre-Zinal.