Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Sierre Zinal

Sierre-Zinal, Switzerland

results of the Sierre-Zinal, Switzerland here the young 22 year old kilian won the race with over 2 mins lead http://www.wharfedaleharriers.org.uk...re_zinal09.pdf
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

Re: Sierre-Zinal, Switzerland

Well done to Angela Mudge 3rd lady and Anna Lupton 6th (only11 mins behind Mudge over 3hrs +) . A great result!!

Round of applause also please for Fleeter, Fleeter's Dad and Alphin who also made the pilgrimage!
    Last edited by jodg; 11-08-2009 at 09:21 AM. Reason: Typo.

well done fleeter. also well done to gareth hird of wharfedale 112th our coach and also sam watson wharfedale 148th
    I ran and ran until my Muscles burned and my veins pumped battery acid, ....And then i ran some more.

went from not racing at all,to doing the junior race then the day before deciding to do the full race,brilliant route,set off slow and finished strong

Cool Sierre-Zinal (Switzerland)

Anyone else doing this race (Sierre-Zinal) - i'm having a go at it this year. Any tips/advise?

Cheers.

Re: Sierre-Zinal (Switzerland)

Quote Originally Posted by Forden Fell Runner View Post
    Anyone else doing this race (Sierre-Zinal) - i'm having a go at it this year. Any tips/advise?

Cheers.
    Ill be there running the jnrs

Master

I have done SZ three times and am doing it again this year. Last year my wife walked it - starting at 5am in the "tourist " race - she does not run - took her 9 hours. You need to decide where you are going to stay - I have always stayed the Saturday night in a hotel in Sierre, and then the next night in Zinal, using the race organizer's baggage transport to take my pack between the two places. There is a bus that leaves Zinal very early in the morning if you wish to base yourself there but it is rather an unpleasant journey at the best of times. Race wise most of the up is in the first third of the race, and most of it far too steep to run - the final 3km are quite steeply downhill. There are some rough rocky bits - I would advise trail shoes, not fell shoes nor road shoes. In terms of effort it is about the same as 3 peaks, perhaps a bit easier. A great event, well organized, with a good presentation/meal in Zinal afterwards. The valley is relatively undiscovered - compared, say to Zermatt, and there is good walking above Zinal and St Luc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I have done SZ three times and am doing it again this year. Last year my wife walked it - starting at 5am in the "tourist " race - she does not run - took her 9 hours. You need to decide where you are going to stay - I have always stayed the Saturday night in a hotel in Sierre, and then the next night in Zinal, using the race organizer's baggage transport to take my pack between the two places. There is a bus that leaves Zinal very early in the morning if you wish to base yourself there but it is rather an unpleasant journey at the best of times. Race wise most of the up is in the first third of the race, and most of it far too steep to run - the final 3km are quite steeply downhill. There are some rough rocky bits - I would advise trail shoes, not fell shoes nor road shoes. In terms of effort it is about the same as 3 peaks, perhaps a bit easier. A great event, well organized, with a good presentation/meal in Zinal afterwards. The valley is relatively undiscovered - compared, say to Zermatt, and there is good walking above Zinal and St Luc.
    I got an Email of the race organizer saying that a fair bit of it is on Forest tracks what are these like cheers are they gravel ?

Master

Mainly dirt trails rather than gravel.