Page 2 of 15 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Coombs Tor

Re: *NEW* Coombs Tor - 11/09/1

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    I think I will do this one as well. I was just looking at the map and I have distant memories of a couple of races round this location I used to do in the 90s. One was 'Up the Nab' I think? which was from the Drovers Arms and there was another one from Charlesworth Rugby club which I can't remember the name of but I think it crossed the Monk's Road and visited Coombs edge? Anyone remember them and are they still going?
    The first would be the Herod Farm race - still going strong. Not sure about the second one. The Charlesworth/Chisworth fair race goes upto Coombs edge but didn't think it crosses Monk's road.

I went round the Coombs Tor route last week and it should be a very fast race, all good underfoot and runnable for the front end of the field.

Quote Originally Posted by second to last View Post
    The first would be the Herod Farm race - still going strong. Not sure about the second one. The Charlesworth/Chisworth fair race goes upto Coombs edge but didn't think it crosses Monk's road.

I went round the Coombs Tor route last week and it should be a very fast race, all good underfoot and runnable for the front end of the field.
    ok thanks I am pretty sure they were both summer midweek races as they were the only ones I did in that area at that time. I think the Charlesworth race ended with a lap round the Rugby field or did it start with a lap round the Rugby field

Anyway I will look forward to the race on Sunday as it will no doubt bring back a few more memories of the area I don't seem to have at the moment
    No country for old men.

I'm glad you've tried the course out, think it should be a good fast race. If anyone needs a better map just drop me an email and I can send one.

count me in for this one
    looks like just my kinda race! :thumbup:
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Master

Quote Originally Posted by steviek View Post
    I may try and do this one William clough! Sounds crackingPadfield plum fair race is the same day tooSo may try and do both,I'll scoff a sink full of porridge On that morning!
    I think there a few forumites looking to double-dip at Coombs & Padfield. Sounds a brilliant idea, not sure if my ankle will be betterish. If there is interest (and especially if I'm not fit and have entry fee money to spare) I am thinking of offering a mystery award for the 'day series' - the runner with the lowest combined score from both races. This way neither race detracts from the other. Not sure if there needs to be any extra rules - I thought about maybe, to spice it up, having to link the two on foot via a recovery stop / checkpoint at the Grouse or some other watering hole enroute.

OB1- but you arent including the 150m sack race?
    Crying shame!

all things considered, I might be game for that... though with a 1030 start at rowath, the run, then a run to padfield for a 1315 start might be interesting...
    Last edited by zephr; 05-09-2011 at 09:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by second to last View Post

The second race was in fact the 'Up the Nab Race' run by Glossopdale Harriers from the Rugby Club.The route climbed onto Cown Edge via Back Lane from Charlesworth before looping out to where the new race doubles back on the top, returning to the top of Monks Road and descending along Slack Edge to finish with a lap of the rugby club. It was always a bone of contention with some people that the race didn't actually include The Nab - although this has been more than made up for since then by Herod Farm, Chunal,etc.

Master

Busted, the coal sack race was the mystery prize! No, joking aside, I know what you mean about timings, and we might just have to all agree on a format on the day at the start of Coombs. We dont want to falll foul of the powers that be by running / jogging (oops jogging / running - that's me covered) between two official fell races!

I'd be tempted to do both as well. Not sure if I'm free on Sunday yet but if I am then I'll be at Coombs Tor at least.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    Busted, the coal sack race was the mystery prize! No, joking aside, I know what you mean about timings, and we might just have to all agree on a format on the day at the start of Coombs. We dont want to falll foul of the powers that be by running / jogging (oops jogging / running - that's me covered) between two official fell races!
    How about a 'non-motorised' transit rule between races - i.e. bike, run, walk, horse, donkey, hang-glider, etc?