Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Coombs Tor

Re: *NEW* Coombs Tor - 11/09/1

Hmmmm. thats an idea. However, going from rowath to padfield by bike is going to be a much easier prospect than footwork all the way down.
    however, points should perhaps be given for those that chose to go on foot as opposed to "other" modes of transport?

and which pub (sorry), refreshment venue should we congregate at?

Master

The direct route (mainly trail / fell with a bit of road) is ~5.5 miles (6 ax) - twixt higher and lower Plainsteads Farms (across Monks Road) down the hill skirting Whiteley Nab to Simmondley, across the A57 to Higher Dinting and on to Padfield. So under an hour interlude, allowing for a refreshment stop at both ends (exact termini refreshment venue TBC)?

well thats a plan.
    But how are you GETTING to rowath? bit of a jog over the top from t'grouse p'raps?

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunP View Post
    The second race was in fact the 'Up the Nab Race' run by Glossopdale Harriers from the Rugby Club.The route climbed onto Cown Edge via Back Lane from Charlesworth before looping out to where the new race doubles back on the top, returning to the top of Monks Road and descending along Slack Edge to finish with a lap of the rugby club. It was always a bone of contention with some people that the race didn't actually include The Nab - although this has been more than made up for since then by Herod Farm, Chunal,etc.
    Cheers Shaun thats cleared that up
    No country for old men.

I'm enjoying the mini challenge you are all setting off doing both local races! Will you be able to fit in a pint at the Little Mill before your non-motorised transit between the races

Master

Managed a trot round at dusk tonight to familiarise with the sections I wasn't familiar with (Rowarth end). The start should be interesting - with a sprint to the ginnel and the first stile. Further on I managed to sink into the smelly bog from the drainage pipe in front of the stile after Far Slack farm - then i noticed that Sarah B's felt tip pen graciously veers round to the right to avoid it....Aaah sweet. Lovely grassy gradual descent from Coombs down to Clough-head farm with a minor detour via adjoining field to avoid a bull and his cows blocking the route. Hope there are enough Stragglers to person all the gates and wrestle that bull. Trail shoes seemed a good choice on balance tonight, and ankle held up OK. Managed to sneak a quick half in the Little Mill (what a glorious setting - I have biked past before but never stopped), before heading home. Will try and bag the other half pint on Sunday. Zephr, BTW I reckon on a busy Sunday non-motorised exit from Rowarth will be faster than motorised; access road being so narrow, we'll only need one 'Sunday driver' to be out and about to cause a real country road jam. Tried to track you all down on leaving Little Mill, at the GDH Club Etherow valley pub run - but admit I failed to find the pub after 2 attempts and headed home to steak and chips. Must enrol on that navi course...

OB1 - glad you enjoyed your recee and appreciate not to have a dip in the bog - we're nice like that!

Re the bull and his cows, we have had to make a route change and now you'll be going left at Cown Edge Farm instead of going on past Cloughead Farm and then follow the pennine bridleway down back to the original route. No extra mileage but less chance of any blood being lost with the unfriendly bull!

Thought we'd updated the map but clearly not - so here it is! So you will be pleased to know that there isn't actually a twist in the tale of tackling a bull and there will be plenty of us out to point you in the right direction

Master

Sarah B, so we lose the nice grassy descent from Cown Edge to Clough Head (shame) but we'll get to do the nice bit of moorland bridleway between M11 and 12 ( I like that bit, wondered why you had left it out originally). Did Mr and Mrs Clough Head not play ball then?

We really wanted to keep the grassy descent in, but the bull and also a dodgy stile (with the potential for an accident claim) meant we had to think again and take a diversion! Maybe there's an extra pint though for the person who decides to take the bull on

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Sarah B View Post
    We really wanted to keep the grassy descent in, but the bull and also a dodgy stile (with the potential for an accident claim) meant we had to think again and take a diversion! Maybe there's an extra pint though for the person who decides to take the bull on
    Nominate Zephr :wink:- he deserves a pint whilst he's waiting at the finish for me before the leg 2 transit.