Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What's living under the bath?

Re: What's living under the ba

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    By, that was quick. I'm sure you appreciate how aggressive they can be having seen them locked up! Nasty little gits aren't they?
    Our local bird sanctuary had a visit from a mink/ferret one year and it destroyed all the wild ducks and gulls who couldn't fly which was most of them!
    I once had to prise the jaws of a polecat/ferret off a kittens head after the polecat had escaped from its cage. Miraculously the kitten survived and lived to a ripe old age mainly because the polecats teeth were embedded in its skull and jawbone. If it was soft tissue it would not have been so lucky.
    I can't stand the vicious little ***tards !
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    By, that was quick. I'm sure you appreciate how aggressive they can be having seen them locked up! Nasty little gits aren't they?
    To their credit they didn't try and go for me once, just the cat! Bathroom still honks of Mink piss.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Got woken up at about 5 bells this morning by the sound of 2 more Mink trying to fight their way out of the traps, that's 4 in total now! These latest two were very unhappy and very aggressive, their shrieking could have woken the dead and boy did they stink- i almost threw up on the bathroom floor. One of them is brown this time too. They don't like eachother very much, the first two just hated the cats but these lads hate everything including one another. I've emptied about half a can of Oust into the bathroom and under the bath but i can still smell Mink. They're going to be living in the summerhouse 'till tuesday when the pest control man comes to collect them, i've got to keep them fed and watered until then so they had better get used to me and stop being dicks about it all!

Edit: According to wiki if they don't like one another then they're both males, as a male will not tolerate another male in its territory. The first two must have been a breeding pair then.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 07-08-2011 at 02:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Got woken up at about 5 bells this morning by the sound of 2 more Mink trying to fight their way out of the traps, that's 4 in total now! These latest two were very unhappy and very aggressive, their shrieking could have woken the dead and boy did they stink- i almost threw up on the bathroom floor. One of them is brown this time too. They don't like eachother very much, the first two just hated the cats but these lads hate everything including one another. I've emptied about half a can of Oust into the bathroom and under the bath but i can still smell Mink. They're going to be living in the summerhouse 'till tuesday when the pest control man comes to collect them, i've got to keep them fed and watered until then so they had better get used to me and stop being dicks about it all!

Edit: According to wiki if they don't like one another then they're both males, as a male will not tolerate another male in its territory. The first two must have been a breeding pair then.

Well done for the responsible way you are dealing with the problem Mr B. considering what you have to put up with
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Alf View Post
    Well done for the responsible way you are dealing with the problem Mr B. considering what you have to put up with
    Cheers Alf; it's not very nice to have to send creatures to their deaths but with them being an imbalance in the ecosystem, aswell as being underneath my bathtub, i'd agree with the pest control bloke's advice that continuing laying the traps is the best course of action.

Teatime:

They both have white fur under their chins, which means they are both American Mink. European Mink have the white fur extending up onto the top lip and around the nose. Interestingly the reason they smell so bad is because when stressed, they emit a pungent smell from scent glands located on the arse, throat and chest. They can also empty the contents of their arse-mounted scent glands out to a distance of 30cm. This explains why i almost threw up as i was retrieving the traps from under the bath, the smell stayed in my nose for about half a hour or so.

They're back. Traps went down this afternoon and one has already sprung. The pest control bloke decided on traps that kill in situ this time, although they don't kill quickly as it turns out. There was about half a minute of rattling around after the trap went, i'll mention that when he comes to collect the carcass.

Total Mink count now 6.

I expect to see you at the next cold winter Lakes race wearing something like this

Super Moderator
    I was going to ask if the mink had taped seams
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    I expect to see you at the next cold winter Lakes race wearing something like this
    Good call, but where's the hood?

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Good call, but where's the hood?
    lol