Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Which Bike?

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Which Bike?

Body's been teling me recently that it doesn't like to do too much running. I haven't told it I still intend to carry on with the big runs I've got planned.

In an effort to appease it though, I am looking into getting a cheap bike and mixing it up a bit whilst going a bit easier on my joints.

There's a fair few bargains to be had on e-Bay by the looks of it, but just wanted to ask what kind of things I should be looking for. I'm only after a decent bike I can just pound the miles on - I won't ever compete. So it doesn't need to be a bike fit for a pro: advice like 'only accept this particular groupset...' won't be helpful.

I'm more after the things that would be acceptable on a second hand bike for around £300 max (but ideally less than £200).

So far I've seen bikes from the following peeps:

Principia / Cannondale / GT / Fausto Coppi / Trek

And they've got an array of components - Campagnolo, Shimano S105...

I know that on e-Bay these things may soon stray well out of my budget (some of these are listed at £0.99), and it might be I'm setting my sights too high. So I'd appreciate your thoughts as to what you think I can expect for my money, what I should bite people's hands off for, what to steer clear of, and even what would serve me perfectly well for my intended use.

Cheers folks!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Re: Which Bike?

I accept that you are wanting to stick to a budget; but of paramount importance is getting the sizing and fit correct - frame size, stem length, bar width and crank length. No point in buying a "bargain" that disappoints you and causes more injuries. This might mean buying a secondhand bike with the correct frame size then being prepared to swap components to get your actual fit correct. Look out for something with a decent Reynolds or Columbus steel tubeset, but be certain that it is built to modern dimensions ( 130mm across the rear drop outs ) or you will be scouring around for defunct parts when spares are needed. I think that all the Shimano groupsets are good down to Tiagra; wouldn't bother with Sora and below. With Campag, Mirage and upwards should suit your needs. As you don't intend being a competitive cyclist, maybe a triple chainset and wide ratio cassette to get a good spread of gears should be on your radar? E.G. A clubmate has just purchased a brand new Trek Madonne, but specced it with a FSA compact chainset and SRAM Apex transmission to get the gear spread correct for the vicious hills of the Bowland lanes!

I asume your looking for a road bike. Like you last year I decided to try a road biking as a change to running, not sure if I'd like it so limited my budget to around £600 and bought a Specialized Allez Sport. Absolutely love riding it although I still know naff all about bikes. I got a compact (2 front rings) gear set (18 in total I think) and this is perfectly ok for all the hills I've found in the Peak once you get used to climbing on a bike that is. You should be able to pick something like this up on eBay for 2-300 quid I would think. Probably best to nip into a proper bike shop an try a few makes for size then you know what to look for. Providing the frame is in good nick I think it's reasonably cheap to renew parts when they wear out.

Something like this looks ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIALIZE...item3cba3d98e5
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Cheers guys,
    Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    I accept that you are wanting to stick to a budget; but of paramount importance is getting the sizing and fit correct - frame size, stem length, bar width and crank length. No point in buying a "bargain" that disappoints you and causes more injuries. This might mean buying a secondhand bike with the correct frame size then being prepared to swap components to get your actual fit correct. Look out for something with a decent Reynolds or Columbus steel tubeset, but be certain that it is built to modern dimensions ( 130mm across the rear drop outs ) or you will be scouring around for defunct parts when spares are needed. I think that all the Shimano groupsets are good down to Tiagra; wouldn't bother with Sora and below. With Campag, Mirage and upwards should suit your needs. As you don't intend being a competitive cyclist, maybe a triple chainset and wide ratio cassette to get a good spread of gears should be on your radar? E.G. A clubmate has just purchased a brand new Trek Madonne, but specced it with a FSA compact chainset and SRAM Apex transmission to get the gear spread correct for the vicious hills of the Bowland lanes!
    After doing some research, based on my height (6'1") and inside seam (34-1/4") it looks like a 58cm frame (centre of crank to top of seat tube) is best for me. It also appears a fairly standard size as most of the ones I've got my eyes on on e-Bay are this size (there was one 56cm, but I'm guessing I should steer well clear of this?).

Cheers for the guidance on the chainset, sounds like it'd also make sense for me. Most of my intended routes will be West Pennines/Calderdale/Yorkshire Dales way.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post
    I asume your looking for a road bike. Like you last year I decided to try a road biking as a change to running, not sure if I'd like it so limited my budget to around £600 and bought a Specialized Allez Sport. Absolutely love riding it although I still know naff all about bikes. I got a compact (2 front rings) gear set (18 in total I think) and this is perfectly ok for all the hills I've found in the Peak once you get used to climbing on a bike that is. You should be able to pick something like this up on eBay for 2-300 quid I would think. Probably best to nip into a proper bike shop an try a few makes for size then you know what to look for. Providing the frame is in good nick I think it's reasonably cheap to renew parts when they wear out.

Something like this looks ok http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPECIALIZE...item3cba3d98e5
    Yup - road bike it is. I don't suppose that'd be your Specialized Allez road bike you're trying to flog, would it? *Eyes suspiciously*. Does look good though...

Assuming I've worked out my sizing correctly, I take it two centimeters difference either side of my ideal size would be bad?

No, it's not mine, just the first one I saw on eBay that I might have considered myself. Still think it's worth trying a few for size, I calculated myself as a 56cm depending on some estimaters but ended up buying a 58cm as the guy in shop said it was the right size after trying a few out on the rollers they had installed. My problem was that they all just felt wrong after only riding a mountain bike.

It is adictive though and I have to make myself go for a run instead once in a while.

Also great to ride at night away from the main roads, got one of those Magicshine thingies last year for running but that's semi-permenantly installed on the bike now.
    Cause tramps like us, baby we were born to run

Buy yourself a copy of Cycling Weekly and look in the back, you'll find a second hand bike in your budget. I think they have classifieds on their website too.

It's not impossible to get a road bike for that money - it might have an old groupset which doesn't shift gears perfectly and a steel frame but as long as it fits you'll be alright.

If you don't mind single speed you could get something like an on one pompino for not much more than £300 new. I was thinking of getting one for cyclocross this winter.

Don't let everyone on here tell you that you need carbon this and campag that - it's nice but not essential. I sold Turbo Tom my old Ribble for £80 and he's hammering out the miles no problem.

Master and MR

If ypur buying a bike off ebay be sure to check the wheels are true and not buckled. If not this can blow your budget sky high if you have to buy a decent set of wheels.Check the headset isnt creaking when you rock the bike on the front brake.Also make sure the seat post isnt seized in the frame. Just ask to alter the height of it.Look the frame over to see if it isnt bent, daft i know but lots of ebay bikes have been in crashes.The groupset, gears will either work or not.Finally grab one of the cranks and rock it to see if there is play in the bottom bracket. If there is movement this could be expensive if your not mechanically minded or dont have the tools even for basic bottom brackets.Good luck.

Good shout Dynamo Dan - will grab a copy this week

Cheers for those tips Daz, most e-Bay bikes are cash on collection, so should get a good chance to inspect. Think I will limit my search locally now though: would hate to go all the way to Suffolk to find some of those faults you described.

Quote Originally Posted by bigfella View Post

good advice there

I got the standard Allez for about £500, and it's a perfectly good bike but should really have paid a bit extra for the Sport.

I think £500 (new) is a significant barrier. Certainly anything below £300 is really not going to be any good if you want to take it semi-seriously and do a signifcant mileage.

I'll be getting something better next year for real riding and using the Allez to commute.

I can vouch that cycling is A LOT easier on the body than running.

Amazingly Bike Radar / Cycling Plus gave a reasonably positive reveiw of Halfords road bike recently,

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/catego...-bike-11-44902

If you look on the Halfords website it's now significantly cheaper at 300 quid. Don't kid yourself that it's a 'great' bike, and certainly not something worth buying to upgrade later, but probably worth a look at. Don't forget to budget for pedals, shoes etc..