Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Cut off dates for age groups

Re: Cut off dates for age grou

I understand that but the race normally attracts 30 - 40 runners - you can imagine 300 runners in a 2 mile race taking anything from 15 minutes to 20 minutes. That's a lot of runners, very congested and handling all of them coming in at the finish would be extremely tough.

I see they have split races for male & female - but can you imagine what it would be like for U16 / U14 athletes running in a field of that size? Actually I know you can as you are an experienced RO.

I had my first experience of the Bunny Runs this year - fantastic races - great venues - but my biggest concern was taking out one of the youngsters in that starting egg stage lap and possibly going down myself.
    They are very keen, not very aware that adults or older runners may not see them, tear of like the clappers, weave in and out and then often drop back after a few hundred metres when they settle in to normal race mode.

You can imagine the problems if an U14 Boy was responsible for a fall to a Senior Champs contender

Without knowing the venue and I can only assume that the RO feels that the route is not suitable for juniors when the field could be substantial and I think that should be just accepted.
    There are plenty of other races where juniors can rub shoulders with seniors to get race experience without tackling a Champs race.

Re: Cut off dates for age grou

WP,

You response is about right.

When the RO submitted the info. for the Calendar last October he had not thought through that 12 year olds might be entered in a Senior British Championship race rather than them run in the junior races provided. When this was realised the RO, the Scottish authorities (and MRAG) increased the age limit. Even 16 might be seen by some to be on the low side for this event but that is what has been decided.
    Last edited by Graham Breeze; 15-08-2011 at 06:27 PM.
    "...as dry as the Atacama desert".