Thread: AND then the BG ( take 2 )

AND then the BG ( take 2 )

I am writing to let you know of the "Lakesman Triathlon " Kendal athlete Paul Clavey accomplished on the weekend of 23/24 July.
    This involved:
    10.5 Mile Windermere swim
    Fred Whitton Cycle
    Bob Graham.

Here is the report of his amazing achievement:

Four years ago in 2007 I successfully combined three classic Lake District endurance challenges into a unique continuous triathlon. The open water, 5.5 mile swim of Lake Coniston was followed by a ride of the infamous route of the Fred Whitton cycle sportive and then the final run was to complete the gruelling Bob Graham Round. The challenge took 43.5 hours.

Since then, despite the achievement, a nagging question kept haunting me…simply, should I have swum Windermere, which at a length of 10.5 miles is England’s longest lake and a challenging open water swim. So, to put the doubt to rest once and for all I decided to do it all again, only this time incorporate the 10.5 mile length of Windermere as the swim to create the first ‘Lakesman’ triathlon.

It all started at 6am Saturday 23rd July from Fell Foot Park at the southern end of Windermere. I had postponed the attempt at the last minute from the weekend before due to a bad forecast and as I gazed up the length of the lake on a calm, cloudless dawn I was pleased with the difficult decision to call things off the week before.

The longest I had previously swum was the 5.5 mile length of Coniston, so it was with some trepidation that I set off to my destination at Waterhead 10.5 miles away. Dave and Dom were supporting me in a rowing boat hired from Windermere Lake Cruises…the plan was to break the swim into half hour intervals to take on food and drink. That’s ok, I thought, if I swim at 2 mile per hour I can easily manage a mile every half hour…so I just need to do that 10 times. But things are never quite as simple as they seem! Things actually went swimmingly well, until we got to the half way stage at ferry nab where a glance up the lake revealed just how much further there was to go. Swimming can be rather mind numbing and I was soon lost in my own little aquatic world with just the looming anticipation of a 30 minute break ahead to keep the momentum going. The first of the weekends sunrises crept over Gummers Howe as we steadily made the way north up the lake.

Towards the top third of the lake the water became choppier as a brisk northerly wind picked up. This combined with the creeping effect of the cold began to make swimming more challenging as my lower back and shoulders started to ache from hours of repetition and it was a welcome sight when Low Wood hotel came into view. One more focused push and Waterhead was in sight where I eventually stood up…the time taken was 5 hours and 15 minutes.

It took a few minutes to gather my bearings, standing slowly to avoid the embarrassment of falling straight over in front of the collected audience of supporters and bemused onlookers! A change of gear and some warm food soon revived the senses and at 12.15pm we set off on the Fred Whitton.The Fred Whitton Challenge has become the benchmark for all other cycle sportives in the UK and remains one of the toughest day rides in the country. The route is an ultra hilly 112 miles in length over all the famous Lake District mountain passes including Kirkstone, Honister, Newlands, Whinlatter, Hardknott and finally Wrynose pass. In between are numerous other climbs and the cumulative ascent gained is approximately 3800 metres.

The initial climb up to Kirkstone felt hard as I struggled to find my cycling legs, but once down the other side and into Patterdale I felt much better and the rigours of the swim were left behind. I was joined on the ride and provided with road support by several mates; the fantastic support and distraction of riding in a group helped pass away the time as we made good progress along the route. We sped down the A66 to Keswick and into Borrowdale. Once over the trio of climbs leading out of Borrowdale - Honister, Newlands and Whinlatter the route takes to the west coast, where we had great views across to the Isle of Man and south Scotland and the northerly wind began to work to our advantage. Over Cold Fell and down to Ennerdale Bridge, on to Calder Bridge and then the ride up Eskdale with the climbs of Hardknott and Wrynose looming we made great time. Fortunately Hardknott was traffic free in the early evening and a final push over the last couple of passes signalled that the worst was over and just the ride through Coniston and back to Waterhead remained. We rolled back in to Waterhead at 8.30pm, with the ride completed in 8 hours and 15 minutes.

It had been a really fun ride, the weather superb and with great company and as I sat in the car park tucking into a hearty meal it was easy to forget that I would be starting the ‘Bob Graham Round’ in just a few hours time. I had purposely scheduled a midnight start to the BG in order to have some time to eat and rest. Based on my experiences in 2007 I knew what lay ahead and there seemed no benefit in rushing to start the run…that would come soon enough! For the moment I was content to reflect on a great day out…a challenging swim and a hard but memorable bike ride...I could quite easily have gone home a contented man except…..there was still the BG to complete!

The Bob Graham Round is probably the most well known of all long distance fell running challenges in the UK. Its 72 mile route traditionally starts and finishes at the Moot Hall in Keswick and ascends 42 Lakeland summits with a cumulative height gain of 27,000ft. I had a strong and experienced team of pacers to help guide me through the five legs that make up the round, but it still seemed a daunting proposition as we set off from Keswick at midnight on leg 1 heading for the first summit of Skiddaw.

Although the night was calm and clear in the valley, Skiddaw was covered in a cloak of cloud and as our head torches reflected back in the mist we struggled on the descent to find the route off down Hare Crag. But we were soon back on track and as we lost height the cloud dispersed to leave a clear but chilly night. Over Great Calva and then up the long climb to Blencathra the first hints of daylight appeared and by the time we were half way down Hall’s Fell daylight was upon us. Psychologically it was good to get this first section in the dark behind me and after a brief stop at Threlkeld for a sock change and some food we set off up Clough Head.

Rest to follow shortly......

Re: AND then the BG ( take 2 )

Continued from previous post....

We made good steady progress over Great Dodd and soon the summits of the Dodds and Helvellyn were ticked off. The second sunrise of the weekend came up as we climbed Raise with a cool brisk northerly wind. Things were going well, and although I was an hour down on a 24 hour schedule I felt strong. There was plenty of time later in the day to make up time if I still felt good later, but the 24 hour target was not my main objective, getting to the end was the prime goal!

The weather was looking good too, with clear views across the Lake District and by the time we descended off Seat Sandal to Dunmail at just after 9am there was warmth in the sun. James and Judy had prepared sausage butties which barely touched the sides; I had a ferocious appetite and was drinking masses, certainly a good thing! As I sat at Dunmail came the realisation that there was still another 15 hours to go, at least, and although we had made great progress over the first two legs the hardest was yet to come. From Dunmail we were destined for Wasdale via Steel Fell, the Langdales, Bowfell and Scafell, not to mention all the other peaks en route. Definitely not time to get complacent, there was still a bit to go and plenty that could go wrong.

The next 6 hours were tough, and in particular from Rossett Pike, Bowfell and Esk Pike through to Scafell I hit a low point and the legs started to object to running downhill. Whose idea was this anyway? But once Broad Stand was passed the prospect of hot food and a rest at Wasdale was enough to revive the senses. Simon and John had set up a rope to ascend Broad Stand and they had a very welcome coffee and pork pie waiting for me too. In John’s words he had never seen a pork pie ‘inhaled’ so quickly!

It was a huge relief to make it to Wasdale; although there was still another long section over Pillar and Great Gable ahead I still felt mentally strong and full of optimism. I also had a great bunch of pacers who revelled in the prospect of barracking me and seeing me suffer – what else are friends for, and I was sure I would oblige! The climb up Yewbarrow is steep and relentless but my pacers did a good job in distracting me with quotes from the ‘ultimate book of useless information’!

Despite the fact that descending was becoming increasingly painful, and going uphill becoming increasingly hard work, I actually enjoyed the section through to Honister immensely. The mountain scenery over Pillar, Kirk Fell and Great Gable was stunning, the early evening light magical and the banter contagious. I was well ‘in the zone’ now and the pain had reached a tolerable plateau – and the sunset as we climbed Green Gable will remain a lasting memory.

It was 10pm by the time we reached Honister and any prospect of a 24 hour round now definitely out of the question. It was actually a relief that there wouldn’t be any expectation to sprint to the Moot Hall to beat the clock! Head torches were back on again for the long but steady climb up to Dalehead with just three peaks to go – the end was now in sight. By 11:50pm we had reached Dalehead with the last major climb behind us and Hindsgarth and Robinson came and went in a bit of a daze. Although totally conscious of everything around me I was completely absorbed in my own world of suffering, sore legs, sore knees, sore feet and an all over feeling of fatigue. Once off the fell and onto the Newlands road I was overwhelmed by the desire to sleep and had to concentrate hard to stay awake. Walking the hills and jogging the flats we steadily made our way through to Portinscale and finally back into Keswick where Judy and James were waiting by the Moot Hall as the time reached 02:50 am, Monday morning. The BG had taken 26 hours 50 min.

44 hours and 50 minutes after leaving Fell Foot on the swim of Windermere, riding the Fred Whitton and running/shuffling/hobbling around the Bob Graham I had at last completed my ‘Lakesman’ triathlon. All the planning, months of training and preparation had finally come to the end and after a few photos we all dispersed in search of a hot bath and long awaited sleep.

As I write this account I have a satisfied sense of achievement at having finally completed what I set out to do. Of course, if I had swum the length of Windermere four years earlier I wouldn’t have needed to go through it all again. But then I would also have missed a fantastic and memorable weekend, spent in the company of many like minded good friends. The weather was stunning and I was gifted to enjoy the Lakeland scenery in such great conditions.

Of course I couldn’t have achieved this alone and the support provided by a great bunch of mates made it all possible and I make no apologies in naming everyone in order through the weekend;

Boat support - Dave Carrol and Dominic Donnini
    Fred Whitton - John Hooson, Rick Stuart, Brian Clough and John on the bikes with Paul Phillips supporting in the car.
    Bob Graham –
    Leg 1 – Gavin Bland, Andy Ramsey, James Archbold
    Leg 2 – Eric Draper, Steve Couper (+ Jack and Midge collie dogs)
    Leg 3 – Iain Taylor, Matt Nowell, Simon Noble
    Broad Stand – Simon Webb, John Gorst (good to see you too Jack!)
    Leg 4 – Graeme MacTavish, Jim Evans, Chris Rhodes, Simon Noble
    Leg 5 – Paul O’Reilly, Neville Elston, Sam Galloway, Graeme MacTavish

Lucy Rigby for helping with support through the first night of the BG and Jim O’Neil for helping with transport and support. Extra special thanks go to my long suffering wife Judy and very good friend James Bumby who had the unenviable and exhausting task of supporting the Bob Graham. Thank you to you all.

I was also very generously sponsored by Wilf and Charlotte at Wilf’s cafe in Staveley who provided delicious and hearty food for the entire team all weekend. And finally, thank you to Troutbeck Bridge Swimming Pool for free use of the pool and gym throughout the last year.

So, would I do it all again? I don’t think so, but then I said that four years ago too! I will certainly be there to help anyone else wanting to give it a go – so please contact me if you want further information.

The Lakesman Triathlon – Swim 10.5 miles Windermere – Cycle 112 miles Fred Whitton Challenge – Run 72 miles The Bob Graham Round.

Really interesting report - incredible achievement by Paul. Congrats to all involved.

Brilliant achievement. Well done.

Master

Amazing, would love to try something like that but its the swim that I just dont think I could muster!

Fantastic effort, Paul – and a great report, too.
    Very well done!

Inspirational. Congratulations.

Would love to have helped Mike, but I'm working... I am sure you'll get some support along soon. Very best of luck and let us know how you get on.

Last edited by sarahjoe; 26-12-2014 at 08:11 PM.
    sofi

Posted on wrong thread?
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners