Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welsh 1000 trng near Sheffield

Welsh 1000 trng near Sheffield

I am looking at running the Welsh 1000m peaks race next year and as I live in Lincolnshire I don't really get the opportunity to train up there. I do get up to the peaks in the Sheffield area when I can and I was hoping that you friendly folk could suggest some suitable training routes in this area. As i have only ever trained and not raced the peaks (or any other fell race for that matter) I am also looking for some possible races to cut my teeth on before the event itself. So far I have only completed one marathon (Snowdonia, which I'm running again this October) and I appreciate I am setting myself quite a hefty challenge. I have walked on the hills and have experience navigating but never under the pressures of a race.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    RWMS

Re: Welsh 1000 trng near Sheff

Have PM'd you.

Many thanks, PM'd back

Quote Originally Posted by Runwithmysetter View Post
    I am looking at running the Welsh 1000m peaks race next year and as I live in Lincolnshire I don't really get the opportunity to train up there. I do get up to the peaks in the Sheffield area when I can and I was hoping that you friendly folk could suggest some suitable training routes in this area. As i have only ever trained and not raced the peaks (or any other fell race for that matter) I am also looking for some possible races to cut my teeth on before the event itself. So far I have only completed one marathon (Snowdonia, which I'm running again this October) and I appreciate I am setting myself quite a hefty challenge. I have walked on the hills and have experience navigating but never under the pressures of a race.
    Any advice would be gratefully received.
    RWMS
    this is repeated quite often but...
    any one looking to complete a big race/challenge with lots of climbing who only has the option of training in the peak should look at the Kinder Dozen or killer, plenty of info on their own threads

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    this is repeated quite often but...
    any one looking to complete a big race/challenge with lots of climbing who only has the option of training in the peak should look at the Kinder Dozen or killer, plenty of info on their own threads
    Hi Ian, thanks for replying.

I must say not being able to train on the ground itself is a concern of my own as the terrains are very different but one I was hoping to overcome, hence my plea for local knowledge of some suitable alternatives in the Sheffield area. I used to live in Bangor when I was younger and have a better knowledge of the welsh mountains than the Peaks (I've actually got a run up Snowdon next week planned while I'm on leave).
    I'm also hoping to get up to the peaks for the Eliminator on 4th sept which I'm hoping to use as a bit of a pointer on whether next June is feasibe or not.

Just had a look at the Kinder Dozen and that looks even scarier than the Welsh 1000s (but only just)

I appreciate where you are coming from and unless I am able to get the training in I won't be able to do it which would be a bit of a bummer. (I actually marshalled for this event when I was a young Army cadet of 14yrs old many moons ago lol)

Mark

Master

Mark

You dont have to do the whole dozen, its good training to just go out and do say 5 or 6 of the climbs. I often park at the eastern end of Edale near the YHA and start ascending Jaggers clough/ Nether moor and follow the Dozen route as far as Crowden Tower or the top of Jacobs ladder then head back vis Edale village to the car. gives a good 3 and a half to 4 hour day out.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    Mark

You dont have to do the whole dozen, its good training to just go out and do say 5 or 6 of the climbs. I often park at the eastern end of Edale near the YHA and start ascending Jaggers clough/ Nether moor and follow the Dozen route as far as Crowden Tower or the top of Jacobs ladder then head back vis Edale village to the car. gives a good 3 and a half to 4 hour day out.
    I do some thing similar, Park at Snake inn and do a half dozen and back over the crossing. But this could be done from Edale and do the Crossing first.

Corniceman, Ian,

It didn't even cross my mind to only do parts of it, not sure why cos it makes pefect sense!

I can't think of a better way to spend 3 1/2 to 4hrs than running on the hills

Looking forward to my run up Snowdon next week. Starting at Pen-Y-Pass and going up via Y Lliwedd to the peak before coming back down the Pyg Track. Not a long run but can't really complain as we are actually supposed to be visiting the in-laws

Cheers for taking the time to reply guys,

Mark

Hi guys, I managed to spend a thoroughly enjoyable three hours up and around Kinder Scout the other day but have a question regarding crossing the moor. I crossed from the top of Grindslow Clough to Kinder downfall but didn't really find a particularly discernable path although the map says there was one. Did I miss something? I followed the grit beds where I could whilst keeping an eye on a bearing to keep general direction which worked pretty fine and got me to the waterfall where I was heading (which was looking particularly amazing with the strong winds blowing the water back up the hill). The question I have is regarding the bit in the middle where you lose one main grit bed before picking up the one for Kinder gates... There is very little exposed grit bed and there has been some 'shoring' work done creating nice wide (and quite deep looking) dams which I couldn't jump but happily went round but was extremely cautious of the 'flats' of mud which I also duly went around but slowed me considerably. Was i right to be cautious or could `i have just run through? Not in the least bit bothered about getting dirty btw ) I did come across some markers of sorts (orienteering types) and what appeared to be the passing of hundreds of feet but unfortunately not in the direction I was heading. I also came across some parts which had sticks around them like some sort of fencing or warning, these I gave an extremely wide birth just in case - again, was I being unnecessarily cautious? I'm intending to get back up for another outing tomorrow all being well and I'm wondering when and how you guys cross the moor to drop back down to Edale so I don't have to double back round on myself or end up being committed to a complete loop. Your advice, time and expertise is greatly appreciated as always.
    Cheers,
    Mark.

Quote Originally Posted by Runwithmysetter View Post
    Hi guys, I managed to spend a thoroughly enjoyable three hours up and around Kinder Scout the other day but have a question regarding crossing the moor. I crossed from the top of Grindslow Clough to Kinder downfall but didn't really find a particularly discernable path although the map says there was one. Did I miss something? I followed the grit beds where I could whilst keeping an eye on a bearing to keep general direction which worked pretty fine and got me to the waterfall where I was heading (which was looking particularly amazing with the strong winds blowing the water back up the hill). The question I have is regarding the bit in the middle where you lose one main grit bed before picking up the one for Kinder gates... There is very little exposed grit bed and there has been some 'shoring' work done creating nice wide (and quite deep looking) dams which I couldn't jump but happily went round but was extremely cautious of the 'flats' of mud which I also duly went around but slowed me considerably. Was i right to be cautious or could `i have just run through? Not in the least bit bothered about getting dirty btw ) I did come across some markers of sorts (orienteering types) and what appeared to be the passing of hundreds of feet but unfortunately not in the direction I was heading. I also came across some parts which had sticks around them like some sort of fencing or warning, these I gave an extremely wide birth just in case - again, was I being unnecessarily cautious? I'm intending to get back up for another outing tomorrow all being well and I'm wondering when and how you guys cross the moor to drop back down to Edale so I don't have to double back round on myself or end up being committed to a complete loop. Your advice, time and expertise is greatly appreciated as always.
    Cheers,
    Mark.
    Hi Mark, welcome to the Peak (without an 's' by the way!)

No, you didn't miss the path over Kinder (the one marked on the map is just the right of way taken by the original Pennine Way route). I'd say you did pretty much the right thing, following stream beds, taking a bearing (Kinder Gates is a good spot to aim for with a bearing), and avoiding any soft-looking areas - the peat bogs can be seriously deep up there. Although you can cross the moor anywhere, the favourite place, known as the 'short-crossing' is the narrow area roughly between Nether Tor and the top of Blackden Brook. This shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes, and if you're lucky you may even find a bit if a path.

The Kinder plateau is a magical place, and I'd definitely recommend going up there in the winter when the ground is frozen and you don't have to worry about falling into a bog!