Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welsh 1000 trng near Sheffield

Re: Welsh 1000 trng near Sheff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Hi Mark, welcome to the Peak (without an 's' by the way!)

No, you didn't miss the path over Kinder (the one marked on the map is just the right of way taken by the original Pennine Way route). I'd say you did pretty much the right thing, following stream beds, taking a bearing (Kinder Gates is a good spot to aim for with a bearing), and avoiding any soft-looking areas - the peat bogs can be seriously deep up there. Although you can cross the moor anywhere, the favourite place, known as the 'short-crossing' is the narrow area roughly between Nether Tor and the top of Blackden Brook. This shouldn't take you more than 5 minutes, and if you're lucky you may even find a bit if a path.

The Kinder plateau is a magical place, and I'd definitely recommend going up there in the winter when the ground is frozen and you don't have to worry about falling into a bog!
    Geoffs got it spot on, No "Path" just various trods.

It's very wet up there at the moment, it can be quite pleasant when it's dryer...

However here is the crossing last winter.
    Attachment 5073

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I do some thing similar, Park at Snake inn and do a half dozen and back over the crossing. But this could be done from Edale and do the Crossing first.
    Did this a couple of weeks ago on a very hot day. Thoroughly loved my 4 hours, but the big grind up to the Downfall was a killer indeed. It really reminded me of long days in the Arrochars.

If you enjoy that kind of thing I really would recommend the Arrochar Alps race. See the SHR site for details. I think it is in the first week of July next year and could be in the Brits? A real mountain race, like Jura and Wasdale and only an hour from Glasgow, so very easy to get to. Since it relaunched it has often been in poor weather and even the most skilled runners have added a few extra summits and descents into the wrong valley, ie good fun all round.

Plus supported by a brill local brewery Fyne Ales! So camp close if you can.

Sorry I am biased as I restarted the race and organised it until I moved south, and grinding up Kinder gave me a long time to swear and remember it. Back for the other half of the Killer soon I hope and finding a better line up to the Downfall as I was above the pool before I descended to cross over. Got the dogs good and tired though

Thanks or recommending this

Jason
    Is it meant to be this hard?

It was wild on Kinder on Wed tea time - pretty normal for the time of year.
    I was thinking of this thread when I was going up Grindslow and comparing it to the climb from Aber Falls or the new climb from Ogwen up Gribin. Peak climbs are good training, but in the Welsh 1000m they are roughly twice the height and far steeper - real lung and leg busters.
    The first year I did the 1000m in truly horrible weather, I was not ready for this, got to Ogwen 2nd behind the great Colin Donnelly and then completely blew up going up the valley behind Gwern Gof Isaf arriving at PyP in a right state. Fast forward to this year - used the Edale Skyline as training, besides a walk of the Welsh 3000ft and a few long peak outings and finished wishing that I'd pushed harder, so ran back to my tent in Ogwen!
    For me the climbs are the crucial part in training and the race and getting good nav practice for the Carneddau.
    Last edited by felltrumpet; 10-09-2011 at 11:53 AM. Reason: missed word

GeoffB, thanks for the welcome to the Peak(will never put an 'S' again). Apologies for not replying earlier but am well and truly back at work now
    I did manage to get up on the Friday and found the 'short crossing' which was a whole lot flippin easier than where I crossed! Cheers for the info guys. When I reached the top there was a couple with a dog looking as confused as I did a few days earlier and I must have sounded dead clever when I explained that there wasn't actually a path despite being marked on the map - I did fess up tho that you lot had given me the gen lol
    Had a cracking run round but by 'eck it was boggy - best fun in ages
    felltrumpet, if you are trying to put me off... lol I'd looked at the Skyline route actually and it looks like a really nice run but with busy work at the moment not sure when I'll be next up.
    IDP, would love to see it up there with all that snow, it's such a unique landscape on Kinder without a load of the whitestuff!!