Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Race The Train

Race The Train

I know its not a fell race but has anyone done this race the train thing ??
    Tallylin narrow gauage railway in Wales is it good ?

Re: Race The Train

Its a big race. Great day out by the coast. Sort of a long cross country. If you fancy a sunny day on the Welsh coast. Try and go by train. Fantastic trip along the Dyfi estuary.

Roadrunner is a previous winner of this race so he should be able to give you some details

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post
    Hi LR ive done it for the past 6 years it's a brilliant weekend go down on the friday come back sunday nice campsite that we camp on

As for the race you can either take on the big race at 14.75 miles go 7 mile out then up the hill and come back along narrow paths until you hit part of the course were you came out then on the road into the finish, or you could do the 10K which is the last 6.25 miles of the big race's course
    Ig you take on the big one you need to run 1.46 to beat the train !!!!!

Also they do races for kiddies think there 2 miles or so i think.

have a look on there website www.racethetrain.co.uk

hope this is of some use
    Track rules

Thanks for the info.lads.
    Think I will enter the long race, a bit of mountain biking on the Sunday too. Sounds like a great weekend

Quote Originally Posted by Leeds Rhino View Post

I look at this every year too Rhino, i'm finally thinking this could be the year. It looks like it could be a great weekend away.

The race information states that the race takes place alongside, as far as practicable, the route taken by the Talyllyn Railway on its journey to Abergynolwyn and back.

In order to do this both courses (10k and 14 miler) use a mixture of public roads, lanes, unmetalled roads, tracks, agricultural land, and rough grazing pastures.

The lads who've done it from our club say that both the the Main Race & the 10K Race are tough in that they cross the faces of the hillsides, ascend and descend quite steep terrain and run on narrow footpaths with little chance of overtaking.

Apparently the terrain varies all the time and can be very wet and muddy in places. Both races also involve some steep hills. Also a lot of the course is across private land, only open for the race, so pre & post race inspection of the courses is not possible.
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Cracking race. Lovely weekend in Wales. Eiter camp or stay in one of the guest houses.

Remember the foot and mouth year anyone? They did a road race in stead. Some cracking hills round there for running.

Think I will be in Egypt when the race is on this year.
    @roadrunneraj #gohardorgohome

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert View Post
    I look at this every year too Rhino, i'm finally thinking this could be the year. It looks like it could be a great weekend away.

The race information states that the race takes place alongside, as far as practicable, the route taken by the Talyllyn Railway on its journey to Abergynolwyn and back.

In order to do this both courses (10k and 14 miler) use a mixture of public roads, lanes, unmetalled roads, tracks, agricultural land, and rough grazing pastures.

The lads who've done it from our club say that both the the Main Race & the 10K Race are tough in that they cross the faces of the hillsides, ascend and descend quite steep terrain and run on narrow footpaths with little chance of overtaking.

Apparently the terrain varies all the time and can be very wet and muddy in places. Both races also involve some steep hills. Also a lot of the course is across private land, only open for the race, so pre & post race inspection of the courses is not possible.

It's no problem wih the private land?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Cracking race. Lovely weekend in Wales. Eiter camp or stay in one of the guest houses.

Remember the foot and mouth year anyone? They did a road race in stead. Some cracking hills round there for running.

Think I will be in Egypt when the race is on this year.
    Yep i remember it RR can't remember what posistion i finished though

that was a good course aswell if i remember right
    Track rules

This is a cracking race. Go for the weekend, do a bit of camping, and you'll not be disappointed.

I suggest that you go faster than you normally would for the first bit (it's flat) to get a good position for the return. The return section is difficult to overtake and is a lot hillier.

I did this a few years ago and got bogged down behind loads of people on the return. Not that I had any real chance of beating the train at the time but it was frustrating.

I still remember the kids on the train screaming and waving like mad when they effortlessly glide past you. Despite busting a gut, you can't help grinning and waving back. Maybe this is a race not to be taken seriously.

There's a few Toddies threatening to do this one year, and so we should.

The Joker
    fell running.....are you trying to be funny?