Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Barrel Inn Fell Race Eyam

Re: Barrel inn .

Is anyone doing this tomorrow? I've never done it before and fancy it as a little pick-me-up before UTMB. It sounds quite a fast one from the previous comments.

there is a write up on the Pennine blog from last year Nick

Thanks Barny, just read it (and your L50 report as well). :thumbup:

Fantastic race again last night - very well marshalled and supported (they need lots of marshals with all those twists and turns). It's a picturesque route made even better by the evening sunshine. After a long steep climb from the start it's intense burn for best part of an hour with no let-up.

Quite pleased to finish only 28 seconds slower than I did last year given recent problems and lack of running. Heart rate averaged 174 and peaked at 185, which is pretty much my absolute limit.

Results are up already.

Race photos will follow, including at least one of the alpaca on the final sneaky little climbette.
    Last edited by BritNick; 27-08-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Photos just sorted and posted here.

Eyam is a lovely little village, probably more so at this time of year due to it's Well Dressings. Whilst having a look around the village pre-race I noticed an information board and was surprised to read Eyam has a dark past. In the year 1665 the village had the plague and before today's race the organiser told us it's the 350th anniversary of the plague.

Not long into the race I started thinking about the plague. What symptoms would a plague victim have shown?
    Sweating? Gasping for air? Aching muscles? Overheating?......blimey I think the plagues returned.

Fear not residents of Eyam, I feel like this in every race...especially one which is as runnable as Barrel Inn.

Good race with a variety of track, fields, moors, road and woods. Many thanks to all concerned.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Good to see you there, Darren, and good result by you once again.

It was my third consecutive year on this and first time over 55 minutes and into the bottom half of the field. Perhaps having raced the day before might have taken the edge off. I had seen the warning signs (leaders ending the loop as I began it and no tail-enders starting it when I finished) but I didn't believe them with the pain I was going through at the time.

I took pictures as usual. Totley enjoyed a healthy turnout.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    I am contemplating doing this race, which isn't on the FRA fixture list this year, but is on SIEntries, on 30 August (it is called simply "Eyam Fell Race"). The website says that "numbers are strictly limited", but nowhere is there any indication of what the limit is! This is important to me, since I tend to leave pre-entering races as late as possible.

Cycling over to Chesterfield after the race, in time for the 22:21 train, will be "fun".
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

You will know the train timetable better than me AK but an easier option, (on the legs), might be to drop into Grindleford and get a train home via Sheffield!

There is always some confusion about this race. It is The Eyam Fell Race but it is sponsored by The Barrel Inn which is located up on the edge, which the race passes.

I have just entered and am entry no 146. As to the limit on numbers I cannot help other than to say there were 222 entrants last year.
    Last edited by Llani Boy; 12-07-2022 at 11:20 PM.
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Llani Boy View Post
    You will know the train timetable better than me AK but an easier option, (on the legs), might be to drop into Grindleford and get a train home via Sheffield!
    Yes, I do know the train timetable. The next train stopping at the Hope Valley stations after the finish of an evening fell race gets into Sheffield 5 minutes after the last train leaving Sheffield for Loughborough (actually a train to Nottingham with a connection to Loughborough). hence my absence at the plethora of evening races in the Hope Valley in recent weeks.
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges